Romney After Supreme Court Ruling: ‘ObamaCare Was Bad Policy Yesterday, It’s Bad Policy Today’
Shortly before noon in Washington D.C. Thursday, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney delivered his remarks in response to the Supreme Court ruling that upheld the Affordable Care Act and it’s controversial “individual mandate,” a law that the former Governor of Massachusetts has consistently maintained opposition to, and promises to repeal day one if elected president.
“ObamaCare was bad policy yesterday, it’s bad policy today,” Romney said. The Republican presidential candidate expressed his agreement with the dissent, calling Thursday’s decision by the court incorrect. Romney said the “bad law” raised taxes and cuts Medicare.
“ObamaCare raises taxes on the American people by approximately 500 billion dollars,” said Romney, going on to add that the law adds trillions to our deficits and national debt for coming generations. Romney said that under the law, up to 20 million Americans will lose the health coverage they currently have, already like, and may want to keep.
Romney called the law a “job killer,” citing surveys from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that indicates nearly 75 percent of businesses say that the law makes it harder for them to hire more employees.
While pledging to immediately repeal ObamaCare, Romney explained some things he will want to keep in place and ensure for a “real reform” of the healthcare system.
For the first part of Romney’s vision for healthcare reform, the former Massachusetts Governor said he would want to ensure Americans that they will be able to keep their current healthcare if they so choose to. Romney also said he wants to be able make sure that those with preexisting conditions are able to get insured, and will not lose their insurance. Romney said that we must “do our very best” to help each state make sure every American has access to affordable healthcare, something that Romney said Obamacare makes more expensive.
The Republican presidential candidate staked the future for healthcare reform as a choice between an expensive and intrusive expansion of the federal government mandated by the current administration, or his plan, returning to a time when the American people and consumer could make their own choices on healthcare.
“If we want to get rid of Obamacare, we’re going to have to replace President Obama,” said Romney.
The Romney campaign reportedly raised more than $100,000 online in a little more than an hour following the Supreme Court ruling.
(H/T Video: PBS)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 488 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 453 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 437 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 152 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load