Republican Mike Pence Apologizes for Comparing Obamacare Ruling to 9/11 Attacks
Congressman Mike Pence, former Presidential prospect and current Republican candidate for the Governorship of Indiana, apparently had a bit of trouble expressing his disappointment with the Obamacare Supreme Court ruling yesterday in a constructive fashion. While it’s not clear what exactly Pence said, what is known is that he apparently compared the Obamacare ruling to the attacks on the United States on 9/11. Whatever our sympathies with Pence, that’s not exactly the best approach for any issue.
But to Pence’s credit, unlike so many other politicians who say the wrong thing and then hem and haw defensively over their comments before issuing non-apologies, Pence has issued his apology a day after his comments without so much as missing a beat. The New York Daily News reports:
Judging by aggressive questioning from conservative justices when the case was argued in March, Republicans had been eagerly expecting what they assumed would be a decision that struck down Obama’s signature domestic accomplishment. Instead, they got a verdict upholding the entire plan, with one change, that was decided 5-4 by the vote of conservative Chief Justice John Roberts. The decision infuriated many on the right.
It was not clear exactly what Pence said in comparing the legal decision with the terror attacks, which claimed nearly 3,000 lives.
Once word of his comment was leaked to the press, Pence quickly apologized.
“My remarks at the Republican Conference following the Supreme Court decision were thoughtless,” he said in a statement. “I certainly did not intend to minimize any tragedy our nation has faced, and I apologize.”
Apparently, Pence internalized Glenn Beck’s monologue about taking responsibility almost completely. His opponent John Gregg, of course, is doing his best to make hay out of the issue. He is calling on Pence to apologize directly to the families of firefighters, first responders and the families of those who lost their lives.
Somehow, we doubt Pence would have a problem making such an apology, if the people in question were upset enough to let him know they wanted one. However, in the absence of such a desire, we think his opponent is probably trying to spin this for the sake of his own election.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 472 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 357 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
- US stock market recovers most of an early loss
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Violence in Somalia scares investors, aid workers