Gay Country Singer Chely Wright Tells Current TV How She Reconciles Her Sexuality With Her Faith in Jesus
Country singer Chely Wright has achieved great success in the music industry. But unlike her more conservative counterparts, the artist comes with some intriguing twists.
For one, she’s a Christian and a lesbian — a bizarre mixture of faithful, gay and country that seems to defy the odds. This week, the activist spoke with comedian John Fugelsang, who was filling in for Eliot Spitzer on Current’s “Viewpoint,” to discuss her sexuality and how she rectifies it with her Christian faith.
The singer-songwriter has traveled the nation speaking about her sexuality and her Christian faith, highlighting the issues that traditionally exist between the two attributes. Recently, she released a documentary called “Wish Me Away,” in which her coming out process is documented.
In dialoguing with Fugelsang, she claims that she first realized that she was gay at the age of 9, a point by which she had already been baptized and had an unusually “strong faith.”
Here’s a trailer for the film:
As a teenager, she tried to very literally “pray the gay away” (a line that is often used to describe the efforts of those who embrace reparative therapy and the notion that people can change their sexual orientation). She would appeal to God with the following words:
“Dear God, please don’t let me be gay. I promise to be a good person. I promise to do all the things you ask [me] to do. Please take it away. In your name I pray, amen.”
Wright went on to say that she eventually came to terms with her sexuality. She says that she realized, from a Christian perspective, that lying about her feelings was wrong. She also says she knew — through the gift of discernment — that God made her who she was.
If praying for the Lord to remove her sexual attraction was the answer, Wright claims she would have been delivered, as she spent a great deal of time on her knees and begging for the Lord to take the feelings away.
Eventually, the pain became too much to handle. In 2006, she claims she had a gun in her mouth and was contemplating taking her own life — not because she’s a lesbian, but because she had created a web of lies she could no longer live under. After bowing down and praying to God for an answer — “a way” — she finally came to a resolution and embraced her sexuality.
“The way was that I needed to come out and start talking and never stop talking,” she told Fugelsang. ”I feel like I was delivered from my darkest hour to be positive.”
Today, Wright says she’s “the best me I’ve ever been.” The singer is married to Lauren Blitzer, a charity worker and author (the two wedded in 2011). They live in New York City.
Watch the intriguing Current interview, below (pay attention to the portion of the dialogue in which Fugelsang claims that the Bible represents two characters – a “God of love and light” and an “angry alcoholic step-God”):
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 311 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 265 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom