‘Nonsense’: France Mandates All Drivers Carry Breathalyzer Kits
Drivers in France now risk an on-the-spot fine if they don’t have two breathalyzer kits in their cars, according to reports. Not only that, they must also have a high-visibility safety vest and a warning triangle, in addition to a slew of other requirements.
Though the law went into effect Sunday, there is a four-month grace period while everyone adapts– partially because after the government mandated that everyone buy a breathalyzer, there was a shortage of breathalyzer kits in the country.
The BBC explains that two types of kits will be accepted: expensive electronic ones that can be reused, and cheap chemical ones. And while breathalyzer manufacturers– of which there are only two in France– are obviously thrilled, drivers’ groups apparently claim that the measure has been “foisted on France” by clever lobbying.
According to French police, the measure will be enforced through random checks, and is obviously intended to curb drunk driving.
While a British driver said the “whole idea…sounds like nonsense,” the New York Daily News is reporting that “some law enforcement officials in the United States said mandatory breathalyzers in cars could be taken for a spin here.”
“If they were mandatory in every vehicle, the roads would be safer, there’s no doubt about that,” Capt. Ted Richardson of the Laurens County Sheriff’s Office in South Carolina said.
But could that ever really happen?
If not implemented on a federal level, like in France, there’s certainly a possibility of it in cities and states. If Bloomberg can regulate how many ounces of soda a person drinks in one serving, there’s certainly cause to implement measures against drunk driving.
Until that day, laugh at the B.S. of A.’s rendering of a “Chevy Bloomberg,” below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 415 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 364 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 104 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 209 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 155 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 110 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK PM: London attack near barracks could be terror
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles for govt travelers
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Boy achieves family dream with geography bee win
- Others who took the 5th: McGwire, Abramoff, North
- UK PM: London attack terror could be terror