‘Oh My Gosh. I Pushed Green’: NC Lawmaker Accidentally Legalizes Fracking by Pressing Wrong Button
State Representative Becky Carney of North Carolina accidentally cast the wrong vote for one of the state’s most controversial topics Monday night and, because it was the deciding vote, Republicans won’t allow her to change it.
According to the Atlantic Wire, lawmakers had already passed a bill establishing rules for hydraulic fracking and horizontal drilling for oil and gas exploration in the state, but the bill was vetoed by the Governor Bev Perdue.
The House needed exactly 72 votes to override the veto late Monday night and, lo and behold, Carney’s accidental “yes” vote gave opponents the exact number they needed. Whoops.
“Oh my gosh. I pushed green,” she reportedly said. “It won’t let me change my vote.”
She then burst in to tears, according to the Wall Street Journal, and asked for a redo with the rest of her party.
Republicans said no. A change in Carney’s vote would have changed the outcome, which is against the House rules. Majority Leader Paul Stam said fracking is important for the economy and Republicans needed every vote they could get to allow it, including Carney’s, if it so happened. The Senate had already overridden the veto and it became law the moment voting closed, he explained. “There was nothing she could do about it…There was nothing that can be done.”
Carney said in an interview: “It feels rotten…It’s a very heavy responsibility because I just feel like the state is not ready.”
Check out a brief interview with the embarrassed politician, via WCNC, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 507 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 465 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 463 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 113 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 211 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 144 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested