Flying Car’s Phase 1 Test Flight Is a Success — But What’s Up Next?
Progress continues to be made on the flying cars The Blaze told you about only a few months ago.
The Terrafugia Transition recently announced its completion of Phase 1 test flights at the Plattsburgh International Airport in Plattsburgh, New York. According to the Woburn, Mass., company’s announcement, the success of these tests checked off power on and power off handling, aircraft stability, engine cooling evaluation, and propeller setting optimization in various flight conditions.
“It’s a real airplane; we’re flying it whenever we want, for as long as we want,” Terrafugia CEO/CTO Carl Dietrich said in a statement.
Watch the highlights of Phase 1 testing:
The street-legal plane has five more flight tests planned, and its next phase of testing will evaluate ground drivetrain, suspension tuning, braking performance, and road handling.
“We have great momentum going in our testing program,” said Terrafugia COO Anna Mracek Dietrich in a statement. “Our top priority this summer is flight and drive-testing, in anticipation of certifying compliance with the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards.
Only in March did Terrafugia announce Transition’s first flight at 1,400 feet for eight minutes. The proof of concept for the car was completed in 2009. As of April, about 100 people had already put down deposits for the $279,000 (base price) plane.
According to the company’s website, first delivery of the vehicle is still scheduled for late 2012.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 375 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 307 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 152 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 258 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 113 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Sweden's riots raise questions about inequality
- Military calls UK attack victim a model soldier
- Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Obama: Policy in leaks investigations under review
- Israel to discuss military draft reform proposal
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission