Republican Congressman: Obama Administration Still Not Following Its Own Immigration Rules
When President Obama first announced his highly suspect “executive order,” the collective groaning over the rule of law was deafening. Still, there was one minuscule hope spot amidst the darkness – at least now that Obama was saying what laws he would and wouldn’t enforce, he had no excuse if he didn’t enforce the ones he chose to follow.
Now, that tiny point of light has apparently also been blotted out. The Washington Times reports that President Obama’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Department has already begun handing out amnesties not only to people who qualify under the President’s new executive order, but even to some people who still don’t:
Rep. Lamar Smith, Texas Republican, said he’s learned some illegal immigrants who have been in the U.S. less than five years have had their deportations canceled, even though Mr. Obama and Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano had listed the five-year mark as one of their criteria.
Mr. Smith also obtained documents laying out how U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement (ICE) officers should actively search for illegal immigrants who are “apparently eligible” to have their cases dropped. Those illegal immigrants then would be granted tentative status.
“President Obama is granting amnesty to illegal immigrants behind Americans’ backs,” Mr. Smith said. “Although administration officials told congressional offices that it would take 60 days to implement the president’s amnesty plan, internal ICE documents show that illegal immigrants have already benefited from it, even though there are no standards in place.”
Smith reportedly supplied documents to the Times proving his accusations. Specifically, he claims that ICE is not deporting people who have spent less than the (under the executive order) requisite 5 years in the United States. In fact, according to Smith, ICE is even refusing to deport people who have been in the United States for an unknown length of time. Not exactly the sort of thing you expect from a department dedicated to “homeland security.”
Now, to be fair to the Obama administration, they have deported a record number of illegals since coming into power. However, draconian application of the law is only admirable if it’s also consistent with what the law actually commands. This story suggests that the Obama administration’s actions do not fit the latter requirement.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 596 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 408 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 340 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 297 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 296 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 154 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- A list of previous Palme d'Or winners at Cannes
- Iranian director facing jail appears in Cannes
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner
- Palme d'Or race wide open at Cannes Film Festival
- Beckham not in PSG squad for last game vs. Lorient
- 10 things to know for the Champions League final
- Rosberg fastest again in crash-marred 3rd practice