‘It’s the Action of the Chase, It’s the Ability to be in the Game’: Rick Santelli Explains the ‘Pursuit of Happiness’ in This Special Fourth of July Message
Knowing that the markets would be closed for the holiday, Rick Santelli, the man commonly credited with starting the Tea Party, took the opportunity to commemorate the Fourth of July a day early:
“You know, 236 years ago today, a document which most historians believe was drafted by Thomas Jefferson … was adopted by the Second Continental Congress,” Santelli said.
“But there’s one phrase that I want to pull out in particular,” he continued, “Here is the phrase I’m talking about. It reads, ‘all men are created equal, they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.’ And it’s the word ‘pursuit’ that I want to talk about specifically.”
You know, if you go on your computer and you look for antonyms and synonyms of the word “pursuit,” and I’ve done this, and the best one I found is … when you chase after something. The antonym, or the opposite of “pursuit,” is “surrender” or “retreat.”
This is what I think Thomas Jefferson was getting at. In this country, what makes us different, is that we have the right to pursue whatever floats our boat, but we don’t and shouldn’t have any guarantees by anybody that you’re going to catch it!
It’s the action of the chase, it’s the ability to be in the game, it’s the ability to do that that brought my grandparents here. Nobody said, “listen, if you come here, you can pursue happiness and we’ll write you a guarantee that you’re going to get it.”
Perhaps someone should tell this to the leaders of the now-defunct and anemic Occupy movement.
“Ronald Reagan said that an issue we need to worry about is re-institutionalizing our greatness. You know what he meant by that? Education. We need to teach kids civic rituals,” Santelli continued.
“I’ve asked a lot of young people the last couple days just to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. You know what the results are. We need to get back to basic,” he added. “Happy birthday America, and another 2,000 years to add onto it!”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 571 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 367 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 271 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 252 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split