Texas A&M Students & Alum Create Massive Human Wall to Block Westboro Protesters at Military Funeral
Is the Westboro Baptist Church losing its edge? The controversial group, which calls itself a house of worship but is regarded by most as a small, family-led cult, originally planned to protest the funeral of Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale. But, the situation ended with a surprise — some might even say inspirational — conclusion.
Last week, Tisdale, a former Texas A&M University student, was killed by a fellow soldier at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Fox10TV.com has more about the incident that inevitably took his life:
Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale, a former Texas A&M University student, was buried in the Aggie Field of Honor, an area of a College Station cemetery for Aggies and their supporters.
Tisdale was fatally wounded on June 28 during a safety briefing near the unit’s headquarters in the historic district of Fort Bragg at about 3:30 p.m., according to Fort Bragg officials.
Accused of the shooting was Spc. Ricky G. Elder of Kansas, who shot Tisdale and another soldier, who survived. Elder then shot himself and later died.
Despite the group’s press release exploiting Tisdale’s death and pledging to crash the memorial in College Station, Texas, the situation concluded with a very different outcome than was originally expected.
After news initially spread that the group, headed by ringleader Fred Phelps, was planning to protest and attend, former and current Texas A&M students took action. BuzzFeed has more about the counter-protest that they carried out against the Phelps family:
A fellow “Aggie”, Ryan Slezia, came up with a plan to create a human wall to block any protesters from getting near the funeral, and invited fellow Texas A&M students and alum to join. One participant tweeted that over 650 people showed up in maroon shirts to create a “maroon wall”.
Now, here’s the kicker and the “different” outcome: To the surprise of Tisdale’s family members, friends and others who had organized a massive counter-protest, the radicals failed to show up. That’s right — Westboro adherents were reportedly nowhere to be found.
Did the counter-protesters scare them away? It’s entirely possible.
Radio host Joe Pags spoke with Tisdale’s life-long friend Shawn Dixon about the fallen soldier and the plan that was launched to stop Westboro from ruining his funeral (the event is not listed on Westboro’s picket schedule page).
Listen to the interview, below:
There’s nothing new about Westboro going after soldiers and military families. In fact, the radical group’s bizarre protests against these fallen men and women resulted in a 2011 Supreme Court ruling in their favor (the justices ruled 8-1 that their actions are protected by the First Amendment).
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 502 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 389 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 386 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 201 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 139 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 101 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 124 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Maine governor moves out of office over TV dispute
- 10 Things to Know for Friday
- Belmoktar claims responsibility for Niger attack
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty; retrial set
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- NY senator: Assaults let military culture continue