June Fundraising Numbers: Obama Campaign Beaten by $35 Million
Under normal circumstances, news that the Obama campaign had raised a breathtaking $71 million would no doubt trigger an avalanche of gloating from the Left, as well as horrified, panic-stricken reactions from the Right. But these are not normal circumstances, seeing as President Obama is up against a man who knows how to turn a profit, and is doing precisely that in his own fundraising. As such, this pleading email from the Obama campaign (copied courtesy of the Huffington Post) may strike readers sympathetic to Romney as particularly exhilarating:
The good news: June was our best fundraising month of the campaign so far, exceeding all of our expectations. More than 706,000 people supported our organization last month. All told, our campaign, along with the Democratic Party ended June with $71 million to put to work.
The bad news: We still got beat. Romney announced today that his campaign, combined with the GOP, brought in more than $106 million. We’re behind again — and the gap is getting wider.
The fate of this election could be decided before voting even starts.
We have momentum, excitement on the ground, and more grassroots donors and volunteers than any campaign in history. But our opponent has an unprecedented money-for-influence machine geared towards funneling big contributions to his campaign, the Republican Party, and a network of super PACs and anonymous front groups.
There’s too much at stake right now to fall behind. Think about what a Romney presidency would mean for the things we’ve fought for — like Obamacare, which he says he’ll “kill” on Day One. Like the kind of economy we believe in, where everyone gets a fair shake and plays by the same rules.
Each of us has to do our part to close this fundraising gap — can you step today?
Ann Marie Habershaw
Chief Operating Officer
Obama for America
That’s right – the Romney campaign reeled in $106 million this month. In other words, he made almost as much in a month as some Federal agencies spend in a year.
Nor is this the first time that the Romney campaign has outraised the Obama campaign – they beat them by $17 million in May, making June the second consecutive month that Obama’s camp has lagged behind Romney’s. This is going to lead to some tricky math for Obama, whose Super PACs and other semi-affiliated campaign apparati are also outspending Romney’s by a sizable margin. Obama is quite literally spending money faster than he takes it in.
Come to think of it, that last sentence could be applied to so much of the Obama Presidency.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 590 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 390 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 321 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 275 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4