Violent Brawl Erupts Inside FL Courthouse Between Two Families in ‘Stand Your Ground’ Double-Murder Case
Fists went flying Monday inside a Florida courthouse after two families connected to a double-homicide case collided in a violent brawl after a scheduled hearing was postponed, WFTV in Orlando reports.
In the “Stand Your Ground” case, Jason Clair is accused of shooting and killing brothers James and Joel Kun outside a nightclub last year and says he shot them in self-defense, using the same controversial law as George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin case.
WFTV reports the defense team said the hearing was postponed so new gun evidence could be reviewed.
Relatives from both families were in attendance at the Osceola County courthouse and understandably, tensions were already running high.
Police said the brothers’ father, James Kun Sr., their friend, Jeremy Milyon and defendant Jason Clair’s stepfather, James Barker, got into a verbal argument that quickly turned into a fist fight. The video captured by WFTV does not show what exactly the men were arguing about prior to the fight but seconds later there were punches being landed and bodies hitting the floor.
In the video you can see court deputies and a local police officer break up the mayhem, at one point threatening to Taze the fighting relatives.
“I’m gonna Taze you! I’m gonna Taze you!” one officer yells. However, police ended up not having to use the Tazers.
As he was being handcuffed, Parker apologized to police.
“Sorry. He hit me first. He hit me. What was I supposed to do?”
Watch some of the violent confrontation between the two families below via WFTV:
WFTV, the only local news outlet to catch the incident on video, has more details:
St. Cloud Detective Christian Anderson told WFTV reporter Kathi Belich that in the 17 years he has been on the job, he has never seen anything like that incident.
“Obviously, emotions ran high. I stepped in to intervene, just based on the hostile actions, and while trying to stop it, I ended up getting struck in the back of the head,” said Anderson.
Deputies pulled Tasers out but did not use them.
Officers said that after speaking with all three individuals and numerous witnesses, as well as reviewing evidence of the brawl, Parker and Kun were arrested and taken to the Osceola County Jail.
Milyon was reportedly taken to the Osceola Regional Medical Center for an unspecified injury to his jaw and was later taken to the county jail with the others.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,031 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 250 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings