‘Boot Against Their Throat’: Analyst Warns Obama Admin Will Bankrupt Coal Industry
Patriot Coal, one of the largest producers of thermal coal for power stations in the U.S., announced on Monday that it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
“The coal industry is undergoing a major transformation and Patriot’s existing capital structure prevents it from making the necessary adjustments to achieve long-term success,” said Patriot Chairman and CEO Irl F. Engelhardt in a statement.
“Our objective is to use the reorganization process to address important issues in an orderly way and make the Company stronger and more competitive,” he added.
Although the bankruptcy news is unfortunate, it’s not entirely surprising. Indeed, for the last couple of years, the coal industry has been battling three specific elements: competition from natural gas, warmer winters, and, of course, the policies of the Obama administration.
The last of these three has been particularly damaging to the industry, according to FreedomWorks’ Tom Borelli.
“The coal industry’s going to go bankrupt because of President Obama’s boot against their throat,” said Borelli during a panel discussion on Fox Business.
“From the start, his Energy Secretary [Steven] Chu called coal his ‘worst nightmare.’ Biden once said ‘no coal [plants here] in America.’ The president has had a hostile, aggressive stance against coal and now we’re seeing the impact on hardworking everyday Americans,” he added.
Watch Borelli discuss the coal situation [via Fox Business]:
“He’s talking about job outsourcing with Bain Capital,” Borelli said, referring to recent accusations the Obama reelection campaign has leveled against GOP rival Mitt Romney, “My God! Look what he’s doing to hardworking Americans in Kentucky, in West Virginia.”
“Then he wonders why unemployment is so high. He’s driving people to that government plantation and to food stamps,” he added.
Front page photo source: Flickr
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 490 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 453 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 439 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 321 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 157 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- Kenya's mental hospital drugs, confines patients
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists
- Fire official: 18 injured in crash between shuttle bus, tractor-trailer near Atlanta airport
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load