Joe Biden: Rich Guys Like Mitt Romney Just Don’t Understand ‘Middle Class Folks Like Me’
As Keith Koffler of the White House Dossier points out, Vice President Joe Biden actually thinks he’s part of the middle class. This, despite the fact he made nearly $400,000 in 2011, placing him comfortably in the “rich” category President Obama has created in his bid to raise taxes on the country’s top income earners making over $250,000-per-year.
However, addressing the National Council of La Raza in Las Vegas on Tuesday, Biden — without mentioning he and his wife had an adjusted income of $379,000, according to his 2011 tax return — suggested he is just your average middle class Joe (no pun intended).
“For middle class folks like me, and most of you, owning a home is maybe the most consequential element of our existence to be able to provide for our families,” he said.
He went on to say rich people or “these guys,” including GOP Presidential candidate Mitt Romney, don’t understand what it’s like for regular people in the middle class. Biden even quoted Romney as saying, “Let the market hit bottom,” in response to the housing crisis of 2008.
“That may be a sound business judgment if you’re running Bain Capital, but it’s not a sound judgment for the United States government to be encouraging,” Biden added, in his dramatic trademark tone.
Watch some of the video from Biden’s address, including his questionable claim that he is somehow part of the middle class:
If Biden feels he is middle class, it may be due to his apparent inability to manage his finances.
According to a Dec. 1, 2011 report by the Center for Responsive Politics, Biden actually has a negative net worth.
“On the other end of the Obama administration’s net worth spectrum are Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar. Both had enough liabilities to place their estimated worth in the negative.
Biden’s low estimated net worth is a result of relatively small income from assets and six liabilities which totaled an average of $337,000. These include mortgages and home equity loans with a bank in his home state of Delaware, two lines of credit and a loan borrowed from his life insurance policy.”
But if Biden considers himself middle class, Obama certainly does not. Obama’s proposal to jettison the Bush tax cuts for “the rich” pertains to those making more than $250,000 per year – whether they have somehow lost all their money or not.
Biden was apparently on a roll because in that same speech he also felt comfortable enough to make a sex joke.
“My mother said, and by the way, it was wonderful for children by the way–having your grandpop living with you, having your great aunt, your uncle, for real,” he said. “Those walls were awful thin, I wonder how the hell my parents did it! But that’s a different story. I know you don’t anything about that. I know none of you in your families have done the same thing.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 466 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 414 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute