Muslim U.S. Congressman Laments: ’9-11 Was Tough On Muslims,’ Islam In America Is ‘Under Attack, But Must Not Retreat’
In a speech to the Icna Mosque in Hartford, Connecticut, last month, Congressman Andre Carson (D-IN), one of two Muslims serving in congress, empathized with fellow followers of Islam over how difficult life was for them after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11th, 2001. The congressman cited racism and Muslims losing their jobs as a direct result of how “tough” life was after the terror attacks.
“It is very true that all of us are under tremendous strain right now -- 9/11 was tough on Muslims. Those of us who were in the workplace faced exacerbated prejudice, unrelenting bias, and in many cases, some of us were terminated from our jobs. It was tough to be a Muslim in the workplace.”
The congressman followed up the statement, noting that America’s 11-year “War on Terror” will never be won unless the country receives assistance from followers of Islam.
“America will never win the war against terrorism without help from the Muslim community.”
Carson continued, claiming that the over seven million Muslims who live in America were ”under attack”. He cited that followers of Islam “must not retreat,” noting that Muslims “have been apart of America since the inception of America.”
Carson then called out people in the audience who might be “under-cover.” The inference was that there were subversives in the audience, set on exposing that the congregation was having secret meetings with the intentions to cause harm to America.
“Now, it is unfortunate that there are those who are thinking that at this convention right now were having secret meetings, that were plotting to destroy this country, but I say to those who are here under-cover, Allah will not allow you to stop us.”
The comments received multiple rounds of applause.
Watch a clip of the speech here:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 457 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 408 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- UK military jet launched to probe civilian plane
- US durable goods orders rise 3.3 percent in April
- Slovenia adopts debt cap to stave off crisis
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
- UK defense ministry: Typhoon jet launched to investigate incident with civilian plane
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- Jersey shore reopens post-Sandy with fun, no sun