President Obama to CBS: The Biggest Mistake of My First Term Was Not Explaining How Good My Policies Are
In an exclusive interview with “CBS This Morning” host Charlie Rose set to air Sunday morning, President Barack Obama, accompanied by the First Lady, opened up and revealed what he considers to be the biggest mistake of his first term.
No, it has nothing to do with his policies, those were good, he explained.
Instead, Obama told CBS News he needs to do a better job “explaining” where his policies will take the country during his second term — having good policy just isn’t enough.
He would also like to do a better job of “inspiring” the American people in the next go round.
“The mistake of my first term – couple of years – was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right. And that’s important. But the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times.”
He continued, “It’s funny – when I ran, everybody said, well he can give a good speech but can he actually manage the job?” said Obama. “And in my first two years, I think the notion was, ‘well, you know, he’s been juggling and managing a lot of stuff, but where’s the story that tells us where he’s going?’ And I think that was a legitimate criticism.”
Of the all criticisms hurled at President Obama, him not being a good enough “story” teller is not one that frequently tops the list.
“So getting out of this town – spending more time with the American people – listening to them and also and being in a conversation with them about where do we go together as a country,” Obama added. “I need to do a better job of that in my second term.”
“A better job of explaining,” asked Rose.
“Explaining but also inspiring,” Obama replied.
“Because hope is still there,” the First Lady added.
So there you have it. Obama, should he be elected to a second term, will try to sell his polices better to you, the voter, and make a conscious effort to be more “inspiring” — the campaign ad practically writes itself.
UPDATE: Mitt Romney released the following statement in response to Obama’s CBS interview:
“President Obama believes that millions of Americans have lost their homes, their jobs and their livelihood because he failed to tell a good story. Being president is not about telling stories. Being president is about leading, and President Obama has failed to lead. No wonder Americans are losing faith in his presidency.”
Watch a preview of the exclusive interview with President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama via CBS here:
This story has been updated with additional information.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 512 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 474 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 218 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend