Does it Matter That Condi Rice Is ‘Mildly Pro-Choice?’ (POLL)
Last night, the media were buzzing over the claim that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice might be on GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney’s vice-presidential short list. While some have flatly rejected such a notion, others are very clearly entertaining it. In the end, the reaction — even if the reports are baseless — has been diverse and noteworthy.
As we’ve reported, in the past Rice has said that she will not be Romney’s running mate. Furthermore, some journalists say that sources from within the campaign reject the notion that she’s even being considered. Still, there’s no shortage of buzz over the news. From radio host Rush Limbaugh to former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, it seems practically everyone has an opinion.
Among the many issues, though, pending Rice truly is being considered, would be her views on abortion. Separating from the vast majority of conservatives, the former secretary of state has described herself as “mildly pro-choice.” While this title certainly wouldn’t be fervent enough to attract the praise of far-leftists, it serves as a potential turn-off to many on the right.
“I myself am someone who believes strongly in parental notification. … I’m against late-term abortion, which is, I think, really very cruel,” Rice said in a 2008 interview with CBS News’ “60 Minutes.”
While this is certainly sentiment that conservative Republicans would embrace, Rice went on to say in that same interview that she does not support overturning Roe vs. Wade.
“I have not wanted to see the law changed because it’s an area that I worry about the government being involved in,” she proclaimed.
Watch her make these comments, below:
In an election year between President Barack Obama, an incumbent candidate that many see as vastly liberal and Mitt Romney, an individual who has sometimes struggled to captivate conservative audiences, one wonders if Rice’s abortion views would be problematic. After all, some would argue that Romney needs a running mate with solid right-of-center credentials. Not everyone shares these concerns, though.
Take, for instance, Palin, who held little praise back for Rice during an appearance on Fox News’ “On the Record With Greta van Susteren” last night.
“I think that Condoleezza Rice would be a wonderful vice president, and she certainly has much more experience than our sitting president does today,” Palin said.
As for abortion, a hot-button issue for conservatives and liberals, alike, Palin showed very little concern over Rice’s pro-choice views. While she said she’d prefer candidates who respect “all innocent, precious, purposeful human life,” she said that legislating abortion is Congress’ role — not a vice-president’s.
What do you think? Does it matter to you that Rice is “mildly pro-choice?” Would her views impact your vote? Take the poll, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 462 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 409 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute