Does it Matter That Condi Rice Is ‘Mildly Pro-Choice?’ (POLL)
Last night, the media were buzzing over the claim that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice might be on GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney’s vice-presidential short list. While some have flatly rejected such a notion, others are very clearly entertaining it. In the end, the reaction — even if the reports are baseless — has been diverse and noteworthy.
As we’ve reported, in the past Rice has said that she will not be Romney’s running mate. Furthermore, some journalists say that sources from within the campaign reject the notion that she’s even being considered. Still, there’s no shortage of buzz over the news. From radio host Rush Limbaugh to former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, it seems practically everyone has an opinion.
Among the many issues, though, pending Rice truly is being considered, would be her views on abortion. Separating from the vast majority of conservatives, the former secretary of state has described herself as “mildly pro-choice.” While this title certainly wouldn’t be fervent enough to attract the praise of far-leftists, it serves as a potential turn-off to many on the right.
“I myself am someone who believes strongly in parental notification. … I’m against late-term abortion, which is, I think, really very cruel,” Rice said in a 2008 interview with CBS News’ “60 Minutes.”
While this is certainly sentiment that conservative Republicans would embrace, Rice went on to say in that same interview that she does not support overturning Roe vs. Wade.
“I have not wanted to see the law changed because it’s an area that I worry about the government being involved in,” she proclaimed.
Watch her make these comments, below:
In an election year between President Barack Obama, an incumbent candidate that many see as vastly liberal and Mitt Romney, an individual who has sometimes struggled to captivate conservative audiences, one wonders if Rice’s abortion views would be problematic. After all, some would argue that Romney needs a running mate with solid right-of-center credentials. Not everyone shares these concerns, though.
Take, for instance, Palin, who held little praise back for Rice during an appearance on Fox News’ “On the Record With Greta van Susteren” last night.
“I think that Condoleezza Rice would be a wonderful vice president, and she certainly has much more experience than our sitting president does today,” Palin said.
As for abortion, a hot-button issue for conservatives and liberals, alike, Palin showed very little concern over Rice’s pro-choice views. While she said she’d prefer candidates who respect “all innocent, precious, purposeful human life,” she said that legislating abortion is Congress’ role — not a vice-president’s.
What do you think? Does it matter to you that Rice is “mildly pro-choice?” Would her views impact your vote? Take the poll, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 324 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 319 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 146 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet