FBI: George Zimmerman Is Not a Racist
The Trayvon Martin Case has been off the news for a good amount of time recently, ever since Martin’s shooter, George Zimmerman, posted his $1 million bail. Zimmerman now awaits trial, and news from the case will likely remain less than notable in the meantime.
However, readers with a long memory may recall that after the shooting initially happened, the FBI undertook an independent investigation, presumably on the off-chance that this was a hate crime. Now, the evidence appears to be in, and it shoots a gigantic hole in the theory of Zimmerman’s detractors that he was a racist loose cannon just waiting to go off. Reuters reports:
FBI interviews with dozens of friends, coworkers and neighbors of George Zimmerman found no evidence that the accused murderer of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin was a racist, according to new documents released on Thursday.[...]
FBI agents investigating whether race was a factor in the shooting spoke with Sanford police officers, Zimmerman’s bosses and colleagues, friends, neighbors and others to determine if he had ever shown any racial prejudice.
In one interview detailed in the evidence, Sanford Police Detective Christopher Serino, the lead investigator in the Martin case, told the FBI he did not believe Zimmerman’s shooting of Martin was motivated by race.
“Serino believed that Zimmerman’s actions were not based on Martin’s skin color (but) rather based on his attire,” according to a report.
Serino told investigators that members of local gangs, who called themselves “Goons,” frequently wore “hoodies,” or hooded sweatshirts, and he believed Zimmerman “took it upon himself to view Martin as acting suspicious.”
Martin was wearing a hoodie and returning from a convenience store when Zimmerman called a 911 dispatcher and said the teen looked suspicious and then followed him.
This answers many different questions. The existence of a local gang that called themselves “goons” puts to rest forever the smear that Zimmerman had used the racial slur “c**ns” while still on the phone with 911 dispatchers. It is far more likely – assuming Zimmerman wasn’t commenting on the unusually cold weather – that the quote was actually “f**king goons.” The report also vindicates Fox News anchor Geraldo Rivera, who originally blamed Martin’s attire for his death.
Moreover, ironically enough, the only group Zimmerman was shown to have any prejudice towards was actually fellow Hispanics. From an Associated Press report:
The FBI has been probing the handling of Martin’s death for any civil rights violations, but the agency hasn’t released any findings.
Zimmerman’s ex-fiancée told FBI agents that he had never exhibited any prejudices. She “observed Zimmerman as he socialized and played basketball with white, black and Hispanic men,” the FBI report said. “Zimmerman’s friends were from all of these racial groups.”
The only exception, however, were when he once went on MySpace and was critical of Mexicans, saying when he lived in Virginia they pulled out knives and messed with people’s cars.
“I don’t miss driving around scared to miss Mexicans, walkin on the side of the street, soft as wanna be thugs messin with peoples cars when they aint around,” one entry said.
This is not to say that the report is all good news for Zimmerman. The FBI apparently did find enough evidence to suggest that Zimmerman was “overzealous” and had a “hero complex,” and suggested he be charged with manslaughter. This charge would be far less severe than the charge of second degree murder that Zimmerman currently faces in Court, but it still suggests that the neighborhood watchman was guilty of doing something wrong.
And indeed, he may well have done. The trial of George Zimmerman for the shooting of Trayvon Martin has yet to begin. The trial of George Zimmerman as a racist pig is, however, mercifully concluded.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 539 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 493 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 329 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 300 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 142 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 194 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 135 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'