This Viral Vid of a Motorcycle Speeding Nearly 200 MPH Has Police on the Hunt for Driver
On The Blaze, we frequently bring you video footage of motorists taking their vehicles‘ speed to new highs. What isn’t often covered though in some clips that go viral are the legal implications if these cars or motorcycles are not authorized to achieve these speeds on public roads.
In April, a YouTube video gain traction on the Web after showing the motorist’s perspective of what it looks like to go 186 miles per hour down a highway in British Colombia.
Since that time, according to the Times Colonist, police have been on the hunt for the driver, who they believe to be Randy George Scott. On Tuesday of this week, Scott was charged for the dangerous driving and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
In April, Jalopnik reported the motorcycle believed to have been pushed to the limit on the Trans-Canada Highway was seized by police. The woman who owned the bike was fined nearly $1,500 at this time, but police believed it was her son who was the driver. Saanich police Sgt. Dean Jantzen told the Times Colonist there was insufficient evidence until recently to peg the crime on Scott and issue charges. It was the media coverage the viral video that helped the authorities glean more evidence.
Watch this CNN report on the charges:
Here’s more from the Times Colonist:
“That was pared down to three critical witnesses that our officers felt provided the best information,” he said. “That was information that connected the rider to the bike to the incident.”
Jantzen said police had limited contact with Scott during the investigation, mostly by phone.
People were understandably shocked and outraged by the video, he said.
“This is an egregious example of someone who really is disregarding all norms of traffic safety,” he said. “You can hardly put words to it.”
Check out the original YouTube video showing the bike allegedly driven by Scott with more than 794,000 hits at this time:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 553 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 325 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 211 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 221 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 140 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school