Ron Paul: Romney Camp is Scared About Me Speaking at the GOP Convention
Texas Rep. Ron Paul on Friday said the Romney campaign is “insecure” about him speaking at the Republican National Convention next month, possibly because they’re concerned about him using it as a platform to rally his supporters.
Nebraska’s state GOP convention Saturday is Paul’s last chance to win an official presence and speaking slot in Florida. Under the RNC’s bylaws, Paul needs to win a plurality of delegates in five states to be awarded a convention spot. So far, he has four: Iowa, Minnesota, Maine and Louisiana. Nebraska is his final hope, though even supporters admit it’s a long shot.
“I think the Romney campaign organization is very insecure,” said Paul in an interview on Fox Business.
Paul said he hasn’t heard directly from Romney on whether he’ll be given a spot, but said he’s gotten the sense that it’s the RNC that’s more open to letting him have a presence.
“They [the Romney campaign] want this thing to go smoothly,” he said. “But all conventions are like that. And this is the one thing that annoys me a bit. If they want this thing to go smoothly and be a big media event, and it costs the taxpayers $18 million, and they don’t want a discussion, why can’t we have a little debate?”
Paul said he would think that if someone “had a base where there’s individuals like the young people who would like to come into the party,” it would make sense to let that person speak.
“It’s not like I’m preaching socialism, I’m preaching and doing the things and getting credit for doing exactly what Republicans claim they believe in,” Paul said. “It’s sort of ironic, ‘Oh we don’t like these Ron Paul people because they don’t vote to raise the national debt when we need to.’”
Asked about the recent flurry of rumors that Condoleezza Rice could be tapped to be Romney’s running mate, Paul said he would be “pretty amazed if she were to be picked.”
“I can understand philosophically why she might…it wouldn’t help the Ron Paul supporters, they would like a different foreign policy,” Paul said.
Still, he said it’s not up to him what his supporters do: “I don’t dictate anything to anybody.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 153 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 225 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 133 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Star witness to stay mum for House hearing on IRS
- Susan Powell's dad gets private eye to review file
- Star witness to be mum during House hearing on IRS
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Kerry praises $2.1 billion Raytheon deal in Oman
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview