Obama: ‘We Will Not Apologize’ for Bain Attacks
President Barack Obama said Saturday his campaign will not apologize for its attacks accusing Mitt Romney of outsourcing jobs while at Bain Capital, despite the Romney campaign’s insistence that the charges are not true.
“We will not apologize,” Obama told WAVY-TV in an interview set to air Sunday. “Mr. Romney claims he’s Mr. Fix-It for the economy because of his business experience, so I think voters entirely legitimately want to know what is exactly his business experience.”
The Obama campaign has been pointing to discrepancies between Securities and Exchange Commission filings and Romney’s recollection of when he left Bain Capital. Romney has said he left the company in 1999 to head up the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, but his name turned up on SEC filings through 2001, coinciding with when Bain sent jobs overseas.
Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter suggested last week Romney could be guilty of a felony for misrepresenting his position with the company.
Both sides continued to traded barbs on the issue Sunday.
“We now know that this president will say or do anything to keep the highest office in the land even if it means demeaning the highest office in the land,” Romney campaign adviser Ed Gillespie saying on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
Gillespie said Romney had “retired retroactively to 1999″ from Bain, an explanation that prompted a wave of mocking on Twitter.
Cutter echoed Obama’s vow that the campaign would not apologize for its attacks, saying on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that Romney should take some of his own earlier advice for Obama and “stop whining.”
“Instead of whining about what the Obama campaign is saying,” Cutter said, “why don’t you just put the facts out there and let people decide instead of trying to hide them? If he didn’t gain advantages, then show us, show the American people. What is it you’re hiding?”
Watch Obama’s comments below; Bain remarks begin at the 4:00 mark.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 157 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 101 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Sony mulls hedge fund's entertainment sale idea
- Under scrutiny, Va. gov's mansion a dichotomy
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan