‘As Big as My Torso’: Giant 21-Pound Lobster Caught Near Cape — How Much Meat Could it Yield?
The 21-pound lobster caught in Orleans near Cape Cod, Mass., doesn’t quite beat the beast The Blaze reported on earlier this year being caught off the coast of Maine, but the crustacean caught off Nauset Beach only weighs in six pounds less.
CBS Local reports Capt’n Elmers, a nearby restaurant that actually serves lobster, has the animal on display at the moment:
“I had its tail on my shoulder and I had each claw in one of my hands, and it was as long as my arms and as big as my torso. It’s giant,” said Manager Elise Costa.
Costa said the lobster’s claws were each about one foot long.
“Usually, for every four and a half pounds of live lobster, once you cook it and clean it, you get one pound of meat. So 21 divided by four and a half, that would give you about five pounds of meat,” said Costa.
The lobster will eventually be sold or raffled for charity.
According to the report, the two giant, Atlantic lobsters caught this year are rather rare, especially with “max gauge” rules restricting bringing in heavy-weights. Costa told CBS Local she thinks this area is one of the few left in New England that can bring in weightier catches of the popular seafood.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 960 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 414 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 366 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 275 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him Read More
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 158 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Watch Live: Senate Hearing on IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Ft. Hood shooter is still collecting a paycheck
- Israel warns Syria against attacks on Golan
- Toback, Baldwin eye Cannes movie-making underbelly
- Man charged in death of missing Maine teenager
- Germany's SAP to recruit tech staff with autism
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says she doesn't know how many people are missing following tornado
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One, next-generation gaming
- Poll: Teens migrating to Twitter
- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says 'we will rebuild' after tornado leaves at least 24 dead