Prominent Atheist Reportedly Vows to Whip the Koran Over ‘Year of Religious Diversity’ Resolution
The state director of the American Atheist organization in Pennsylvania, the man is set to reach a whole new level of notoriety with his most recent stunt.
Claiming Pennsylvania’s “Year of Religious Diversity” measure illegally intertwines church and state, Perce says he will “thrash the Quran with a nine-tail whip 85 times, and a single whip six times” if the resolution is not rescinded, according to PennLive.
He explained that he plans to perform the act on September 24 in the Capitol Rotunda, and the peculiar number of times is a reference to the number of the bill.
“I am a nonbeliever and for (the House) to assume we respect these books is asinine,” the Harrisburg resident reportedly said. “I will let other atheists come with me (to protest). I want Christians to lash the Quran, too.”
However, local sources also emphasize that Perce is making the threats as an individual, and does not represent the American Atheist organization.
The group confirmed for The Blaze that they are “pleased” to have Perce for their state director, but are not endorsing the stunt.
Philly.com writes that “it is unclear” why Perce is singling out the Koran, but commenters have their own theories.
“To gain headlines,” one pointed out, presumably referring to Terry Jones, who became a national figure after making similar threats.
However, it is possible that there is still some lingering animosity over the previously-mentioned “Zombie Muhammad” incident.
Perce was reportedly attacked by a Muslim while wearing the provocative costume and, though the attacker admitted to the crime, the judge dismissed the case and proceeded to lecture Perce on the joys of Islam.
The judge said:
“Before you start mocking someone else’s religion you may want to find out a little bit more about it… Islam is not just a religion, it’s their culture, their culture. It’s their very essence their very being. They pray five times a day towards Mecca to be a good Muslim…
“Then what you have done is you have completely trashed their essence, their being. They find it very very very offensive. I’m a Muslim, I find it offensive…”
Perce claims to have received a total of 571 death threats, including one from the Muslim Brotherhood.
Though there isn’t statistical analysis to back up the statement, the site Weasel Zippers notes that Perce appears to be an aberration among atheists in going after Islam, instead of Christianity.
(H/T: Weasel Zippers)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 552 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 326 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 209 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 221 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school