Couple Behind Magical War Memorial Pic Speaks Out: ‘It Wasn’t a Proposal’
The Blaze recently brought you the viral photograph of a couple that appeared to have just gotten engaged at the Washington War Memorial in Washington, D.C. The photographer, Angila Golik, brought the tender moment to the Internet in her quest to identify the couple and deliver the images.
On Monday, we wondered how long it would take social and traditional media to help to bring the couple forward. Well, it only took about a day, but their identity still remains a secret. The Today Show featured Golik and reported a statement Tuesday made through the Air Force on behalf of the couple, who wished to remain unidentified and private.
Air Force Lt. Colonel Ann Knabe said that the couple was “delighted that this intimate moment at the War Memorial has brought warmth and inspiration to many hearts.” But as many were assuming that the scene was that of a proposal, Knabe said “The Air Force member was not proposing to his fiancée…at least not for the first time, as they had become engaged two weeks prior to these photos.”
Knabe elaborated that the couple was seeking out locations for their actual marriage ceremony at the time the photograph was taken.
“The photographer happened to catch the couple acting as if they were reciting their vows in the middle of the memorial and re-living their sweet moment from two weeks prior,” Knabe continued. “Though this was in a public place, the couple asks for their privacy to be respected, so that they can plan their wedding out of the public eye.”
As for Golik’s search, Today reports she is happy the case is closed.
“I actually have a quite busy life I need to get back to,” Golik told Today.
Watch Golik on the show before the Air Force released its statement:
(H/T: Daily Mail)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 396 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner