Krauthammer: Obama Would Win if Election Were Held Tomorrow
Syndicated columnist and political commentator Charles Krauthammer had some surprising news for Bill O’Reilly Monday night on “The O’Reilly Factor.” After a discussion of the president’s campaign strategies, Krauthammer unequivocally told the Fox News host that if the election were held tomorrow, Obama would win.
But there are some caveats. Krauthammer added:
If he wins either now or November in your hypothetical, it will be a narrow win because he will eke it out with these constituencies…
If you look at all the polls, the average is that he’s got a 2-point edge in the popular vote. It’s almost inconceivable that you’d have that strong an [excess] in the overall vote and lose in the electoral college.
But hope is not lost for Romney voters. Though Krauthammer was not optimistic about Romney’s chances if the election were held tomorrow, he reminded viewers that a lot can change by November:
I think all this negative stuff against Romney has had an effect of making people hesitant to switch from Obama to Romney. I think if Romney humanizes himself in the debates and does reasonably well, the way Reagan did in his debates, and [becomes] acceptable to meet the threshold for president, he wins, and I think that’s likely to happen.
Watch the entire interview, via Mediaite, below:
Bill O’Reilly, it must be said, began the program by provocatively pointing out a number of polls showing overwhelming support for Barack Obama, saying: “It looks like the president’s going to win in a landslide.”
Krauthammer responded: “Not really,” pointing out that some of the president’s strongest constituencies– the young, African-Americans, and Hispanics– will likely have a depressed turnout.
Some who “swooned in the aisles” in 2008, Krauthammer argues, will stay home in 2012 because they “know the reality of what Obama has wrought.”
O’Reilly proceeded to discuss women as another voting bloc, and Krauthammer said that Obama’s campaign is based on one idea.
“You go out and you try to seduce one ethnic or socioeconomic or gender constituency after another. Because you can’t run as a national candidate who has improved the country.”
He summarized: “He cannot make the appeal, ‘I’m the president of all Americans and America is better off.’ If he does that, he loses.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 508 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 464 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 113 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 214 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 150 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- What vitally important issue is the NY state legislature debating?
- Feel-good story of the day: 3D printers aren’t just for guns
- Obama admin becomes ABC’s ‘Scandal’
- Was Gibson Guitar raid another example of political targeting by Obama DOJ?
- Code Pink protester pretended to be journalist so she could heckle Obama
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend