Krauthammer: Obama Would Win if Election Were Held Tomorrow
Syndicated columnist and political commentator Charles Krauthammer had some surprising news for Bill O’Reilly Monday night on “The O’Reilly Factor.” After a discussion of the president’s campaign strategies, Krauthammer unequivocally told the Fox News host that if the election were held tomorrow, Obama would win.
But there are some caveats. Krauthammer added:
If he wins either now or November in your hypothetical, it will be a narrow win because he will eke it out with these constituencies…
If you look at all the polls, the average is that he’s got a 2-point edge in the popular vote. It’s almost inconceivable that you’d have that strong an [excess] in the overall vote and lose in the electoral college.
But hope is not lost for Romney voters. Though Krauthammer was not optimistic about Romney’s chances if the election were held tomorrow, he reminded viewers that a lot can change by November:
I think all this negative stuff against Romney has had an effect of making people hesitant to switch from Obama to Romney. I think if Romney humanizes himself in the debates and does reasonably well, the way Reagan did in his debates, and [becomes] acceptable to meet the threshold for president, he wins, and I think that’s likely to happen.
Watch the entire interview, via Mediaite, below:
Bill O’Reilly, it must be said, began the program by provocatively pointing out a number of polls showing overwhelming support for Barack Obama, saying: “It looks like the president’s going to win in a landslide.”
Krauthammer responded: “Not really,” pointing out that some of the president’s strongest constituencies– the young, African-Americans, and Hispanics– will likely have a depressed turnout.
Some who “swooned in the aisles” in 2008, Krauthammer argues, will stay home in 2012 because they “know the reality of what Obama has wrought.”
O’Reilly proceeded to discuss women as another voting bloc, and Krauthammer said that Obama’s campaign is based on one idea.
“You go out and you try to seduce one ethnic or socioeconomic or gender constituency after another. Because you can’t run as a national candidate who has improved the country.”
He summarized: “He cannot make the appeal, ‘I’m the president of all Americans and America is better off.’ If he does that, he loses.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,041 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 167 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 116 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 137 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- Life-saving face transplant performed in Poland
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- Mais non! French universities may teach in English
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed