‘Nonsense’: Muslim Rep. Keith Ellison Slams Assertion that Islamic Extremists Have Infiltrated the U.S. Government
On June 13th, Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Trent Franks (R-AZ), Louie Gohmert (R-TX), Tom Rooney (FL-16) and Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA) sent official letters to the Inspectors General of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice, and the Department of State with the intention of determining the level of infiltration by Islamic extremist groups within their respective organizations.
Focusing on the Muslim Brotherhood, each letter roughly began:
As you may know, information has recently come to light that raises serious questions about the involvement of organizations and individuals associated with the Muslim Brotherhood in [insert department] activities and policies. Given that the U.S. government has established in federal court that the Muslim Brotherhood’s mission in the United States is “destroying Western civilization from within” — a practice the Brothers call “civilization jihad” — we believe that the apparent involvement of those with such ties raises serious security concerns that warrant your urgent attention.
The letters then pointed to specific areas of concern within the respective departments. You can read a copy of them via Michele Bachmann’s website, here.
But now, Democratic congressman Keith Ellison is calling the assertions and provided proof “regurgitated nonsense” and “repeated, false allegations.”
On CNN with Anderson Cooper, Cooper began the segment by explaining that Ellison is leading the charge in demanding proof of the claims. Ellison reportedly got a 16-page letter back but, rather than discuss why the charges were “nothing,” Ellison simply resorted to belittling them and the members of congress who provided them.
“16 pages doesn’t take nothing and turn it into something, it’s still nothing, and the fact is, I would hope that we would let our saner, more courageous spirit prevail.”
Anderson Cooper then asked whether there was any evidence of “deep penetration” by the Muslim Brotherhood, careful to note for the second time that the phrase was Michele Bachmann’s.
“No. It’s not true. It doesn’t exist. It’s a phantom,” Ellison responded, without providing any substantiating information of his own, or refuting any of the evidence before him.
He added: “Let me also assert that if there is any source of threat to the United States, legitimate, you know, that I want it to be investigated at whatever source. I don’t care what religion, what race, what, whoever they are. If they are a legitimate threat to the U.S., by all means investigate them…”
He did not specify at what point a threat becomes worthy of investigation.
Watch the entire clip, below:
The pair then proceeded to discuss Huma Abedin, Hillary Clinton’s Deputy Chief of Staff, who reportedly has numerous connections to the Muslim Brotherhood.
Anderson Cooper phrased it: “Basically, they’re saying that Huma Abedin’s dead father headed a group decades ago, and one of the people who supposedly supported that group headed another group that was supposedly connected to the Muslim Brotherhood…Does that make any sense to you, that she shouldn’t have gotten a security clearance, because of that?”
Though no one is claiming Huma Abedin is an extremist, Cooper did phrase the question in misleading terms. In reality, the members of Congress said that Abedin has three family members — her late father, her mother, and her brother– who are connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations. Because “her position affords her routine access to the Secretary and to policy-making,” in the words of the congressional letter, these immediate connections should be evaluated and either dismissed, or considered.
Ellison concluded: “…It’s about some people in our country thinking that if you’re not in the quote unquote ‘mainstream,’ then you have no place– that you have to be a certain color, a certain race, a certain sexual orientation, a certain religion, and if you’re not the ‘right’ ones, then you’re not okay. But we’ve got to stand up for this idea that we all count in this America, and [an] American is [an] American is [an] American, and we’re going to stick with this idea; we’re not going to back down.”
Click here to read Bachmann’s 16-page letter of “nonsense,” in the words of Keith Ellison, highlighting possible security risks.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 979 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 425 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 376 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 290 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 135 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 172 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids