‘Don’t Let this Happen to You’: Escalator Traps Teen’s Fingers as He Tries to Unstick Flip-Flop
Ye be warned. Rubber shoes — flip flops, crocks, etc. — and escalators do not mix. A Canadian tourist visiting Washington, D.C. this week learned that lesson the hard way.
According to MyFoxDC, a 14-year-old boy was riding down the escalator to the Smithsonian metro station when his flip-flop got stuck in the combs of the escalator’s step. Reaching down to pull out his footwear, his fingers then became wedged painfully into the metal tines for about 40 minutes.
He had to be taken to the hospital for treatment but metro spokesperson Dan Stessel said the injuries were not life-threatening. The escalator though is now out of service as it is being investigated.
Watch the MyFoxDC report:
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority points to a summer escalator safety tip sheet, which says:
Flip-flops, Crocs and other soft, rubbery footwear can actually sink into the escalator step as you’re riding it. This creates a greater potential for your footwear to go under the comb plate (the yellow teeth at the top and bottom of the escalator). Don’t let this happen to you. If you choose to wear rubbery footwear, be sure to take extra care to step over the comb plate as you get on and off the escalator.
In fact, escalators are just a dangerous place in general. This is the second story on The Blaze within 24 hours regarding an escalator accident. The first was a woman in Boston flipping over in a motor scooter as she tried to ride it up the moving stairs.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
(H/T: Daily Mail)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 515 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 475 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 219 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election