Rapper Ice-T Defends Gun Rights After ‘Dark Knight’ Shooting: ‘The Last Form of Defense Against Tyranny’
Following the tragic shooting in Aurora, Colo., where lone gunman James Holmes opened fire on a movie theater, killing 12 people and wounding 50, the debate over gun control has once again been thrust into the forefront of American politics. He reportedly used an AR-15 assault rifle, a .40 cal Glock handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun to carry out the killings.
Some have argued that the country’s gun laws helped Holmes carry out his killing spree and those on the hard Left have even called for an outright ban on assault weapons.
Others, though, have defended the gun rights of Americans, cautioning Americans against blaming a lack of gun laws before a motive in the case is even determined. One of those people, believe it or not, is rapper and actor Ice-T.
Talking with Channel 4 London’s Krishnan Guru-Murthy just hours after the news of the shooting began to surface, the legendary rapper shot down claims that the Aurora tragedy should be linked to gun rights.
“I’d give up my gun when everybody else does,” Ice-T said. ”The right to bear arms is because that’s the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt. It’s to protect yourself from the police.”
“And do you see any link between that and these sort of incidents?” Guru-Murthy asked.
“No. Not really,” the rapper added. “If somebody wants to kill people, you know, they don’t need a gun to do it.”
“Makes it easier though, doesn’t it?” the host said.
“Not really. You can strap explosives on your body. They do that all the time.”
Ice-T said the anti-gun lobby is not going to be able to change America’s gun laws as a result of the Aurora shooting. He argues America is “based” on guns and “it’s not going to change.”
As Mediaite points out:
This sounds a lot like a quote from Alan Gura, the lawyer who argued for the gun-owners in the Supreme Court’s McDonald v. Chicago case: “No criminal is going to say, I was gonna hold up that liquor store, I was gonna hold up that couple in the park, but I couldn’t get the permit to get the gun, so I’ll give up.”
Ice’s comments ring particularly true when you think of the unintended consequences of prohibitions of any kind. Strict laws aimed at ridding the streets of recreational drugs, adult prostitution, and gun possession are all well-intentioned, but they ignore the economics of prohibition: most law-abiding citizens are deterred by strict laws, but the people who put a higher premium on possessing those illicit goods will find a way around the law.
When someone is as hell-bent on massacring people at a movie theater as the Aurora gunman was, it is safe to assume they would have gone as far as needed to obtain the proper weapons for such a murderous toll. If not guns, perhaps explosives; if not explosives, perhaps other means of chaos.
Watch Ice-T’s segment with Channel 4 London here:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 410 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 346 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 106 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 206 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Francona manages at Fenway for 1st time since 2011
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach