‘They Ought to Be Called Murder Incorporated’: Liberal Talker Bill Press Attacks NRA
It ought to go without saying that using the Aurora shooting to make hyperbolic political points is in poor taste. Unfortunately, that seems to be the variety of taste that Current TV’s Bill Press has.
Press, who has a history of taking cheap shots at conservative groups/individuals with whom he disagrees, lobbed what was (even for him) an uncharacteristically sharp accusation at the National Rifle Association (NRA) today, all but outright accusing them of supporting murder by virtue of opposing gun control.
“After a hurricane, we talk about what kind of new levees we might build. After 911, we invented TSA. But after a mass murder, we’re not allowed to talk about gun control. Why? Because the NRA might not like it. Well, guess what? I don’t give a damn about the NRA and I’m not afraid of them. By standing in the way of any sensible gun control, I think the NRA has blood on its hands. They ought to be called Murder Incorporated. How many more Columbines, how many more Virginia Techs, how many more Aurora, Colorados before we finally declare our independence from the NRA and stop worshipping the almighty gun?” Press snarled. “There’s no need for anybody outside the military to have an assault weapon.”
Watch Press’ outburst here:
Now, one could point out the problems with Press’ comments until the cows home. However, for now, the best response may be simply to quote from the Governor of Colorado, John Hickenlooper, who was asked about precisely the topic of gun control after the Aurora shootings, and had this to say:
If there were no assault weapons available and no this or no that, this guy is going find something, right? He’s going to know how to create a bomb.
Now, if even the Governor of the state where this tragedy happened doesn’t think this idea is a good one, where is Press getting his terror about people worshipping the “almighty gun” from? Who knows, but his comments clearly don’t bespeak a sober view of the evidence.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 489 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 306 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 138 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 240 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 108 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 110 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- Coen, Guirgis bound for Atlantic Theater Company
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Obama endorses more oversight of drone strikes
- CORRECTS: Obama: No drone strikes without 'near certainty' of no civilian casualties.
- Study: Amphibians disappearing at alarming rate
- Obama announces he's lifting 2009 ban on transfers of Guantanamo detainees to Yemen
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter
- Obama:No drone strikes on suspected terrorists without 'near certainty' of civilian casualties