‘They Ought to Be Called Murder Incorporated’: Liberal Talker Bill Press Attacks NRA
It ought to go without saying that using the Aurora shooting to make hyperbolic political points is in poor taste. Unfortunately, that seems to be the variety of taste that Current TV’s Bill Press has.
Press, who has a history of taking cheap shots at conservative groups/individuals with whom he disagrees, lobbed what was (even for him) an uncharacteristically sharp accusation at the National Rifle Association (NRA) today, all but outright accusing them of supporting murder by virtue of opposing gun control.
“After a hurricane, we talk about what kind of new levees we might build. After 911, we invented TSA. But after a mass murder, we’re not allowed to talk about gun control. Why? Because the NRA might not like it. Well, guess what? I don’t give a damn about the NRA and I’m not afraid of them. By standing in the way of any sensible gun control, I think the NRA has blood on its hands. They ought to be called Murder Incorporated. How many more Columbines, how many more Virginia Techs, how many more Aurora, Colorados before we finally declare our independence from the NRA and stop worshipping the almighty gun?” Press snarled. “There’s no need for anybody outside the military to have an assault weapon.”
Watch Press’ outburst here:
Now, one could point out the problems with Press’ comments until the cows home. However, for now, the best response may be simply to quote from the Governor of Colorado, John Hickenlooper, who was asked about precisely the topic of gun control after the Aurora shootings, and had this to say:
If there were no assault weapons available and no this or no that, this guy is going find something, right? He’s going to know how to create a bomb.
Now, if even the Governor of the state where this tragedy happened doesn’t think this idea is a good one, where is Press getting his terror about people worshipping the “almighty gun” from? Who knows, but his comments clearly don’t bespeak a sober view of the evidence.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 565 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 347 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 241 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 143 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee