‘Bigoted’ & ‘Homophobic’: Chicago Alderman Vows to Block Chick-fil-A
Chick-fil-A, as we’re sure most of you know already, has come under fire for allegedly “intolerant” comments made by company CEO Dan Cathy. Anti-Chick-fil-A protest pages have popped up all over Facebook, Boston Mayor Tom Menino has vowed to block them from opening an eatery in his city, and the Jim Henson Company has broken off all ties with the company.
And here’s the latest in the “Let’s Dogpile Chick-fil-A Because They’re Totally ‘Intolerant’” movement: “A Chicago alderman wants to kill Chick-fil-A’s plans to build a restaurant in his increasingly trendy Northwest Side ward because the fast-food chain’s top executive vocally opposes gay marriage.”
Yep, first Boston and now this.
“If you are discriminating against a segment of the community, I don’t want you in the 1st Ward,” Ald. Proco “Joe” Moreno told the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday, referring to what he said were “bigoted, homophobic comments” from Cathy.
Whoa, whoa, pump the breaks there, “Joe.” Let’s rewind a bit and see what Cathy actually said: “We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”
Cathy also said the following [via Ken Coleman Show]:
I think we‘re inviting God’s judgment when we shake our fist at him, you know? “We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.”
And I pray on God’s mercy on our generation, that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we would have the audacity to try and redefine what marriage is all about.
“Bigoted”? “Homophobic?” “Discriminates”?
Is it company policy to deny members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) community employment? No. Does Chick-fil-A deny members of the LGBT community service? No. Outside of Cathy’s “intolerant,” “bigoted,” and “homophobic” comments, has Chick-fil-A — as a company – done anything to discriminate against the LGBT community? No. Did we redefine the word “discriminate” and nobody told us about it? Hmmm.
“Because of this man’s ignorance, I will now be denying Chick-fil-A’s permit to open a restaurant in the 1st Ward,” said the alderman.
Of course, Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who, by the way, is doing a bang-up job running that city, supports Moreno.
“Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values,” Emanuel said in a statement. “They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty.”
Although the company has already obtained zoning for a restaurant, “it must seek council approval to divide the land so it can purchase an out lot near Home Depot,” the Tribune reports. This means they have to go through Moreno.
When asked whether his decision to block Chick-fil-A over Cathy’s comments seemed contradictory to First Amendment rights, the alderman shrugged it off.
“You have the right to say what you want to say, but zoning is not a right,” he said, adding that it will take “more than words” to get him to change his mind.
“They’d have to do a complete 180,” the alderman said. “They’d have to work with LGBT groups in terms of hiring, and there would have to be a public apology from (Cathy).”
Final thought: Mark our words — from Boston to Chicago — this is just the tip of the iceberg. If there’s one thing advocates of “tolerance” won’t tolerate, it’s people who, they say, are “intolerant” [good luck figuring that one out].
(H/T: Hot Air)
Front page photo source: BuzzFeed
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 327 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 185 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 128 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 122 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Muslim hard-liners ID suspect in London attack
- Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
- House backs variable rate student loans
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Tea party vs. old guard in Senate GOP rift