Growing Unbelief? 1 in 5 Americans Are Now Atheists, Agnostics or ‘Nones’
TheBlaze has provided extensive documentation to show that atheism is anything but a dying breed. In fact, non-belief is alive and well in America.
While the majority of the population still embraces the concept of a “God,” according to a new report, the proportion of Americans abandoning the notion that a higher power exists is expanding. Now, nearly one in five (19 percent) Americans report that they are a part of the “nones” — the growing group of religiously unaffiliated individuals.
Who are these “nones,” you ask? According to the USA Today, they are people who call themselves atheists, agnostics or those who simply embrace “nothing in particular.” According to Barry Kosmin, co-author of three American Religious Identification Surveys, the “nones” may be growing for a variety of reasons.
“Young people are resistant to the authority of institutional religion, older people are turned off by the politicization of religion, and people are simply less into theology than ever before,” he explains.
While some may deny that one or more of these reasons are at the center of the growing trend of non-belief, others will certainly agree that this is an issue worthy of further examination. Looking at the numbers, regardless of where one stands, is stunning. USA Today goes on to explain how this proportion has grown over the years:
Kosmin’s surveys were the first to brand the Nones in 1990 when they were 6% of U.S. adults. By 2008 survey, Nones were up to 15%. By 2010, another survey, the bi-annual General Social Survey, bumped the number to 18%.
Meanwhile, the Roman Catholic Church, the nation’s largest religious denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention, Methodists and Lutherans, all show membership flat or inching downward, according to the 2012 Yearbook of American & Canadian Churches.
The 19% count is based on aggregated surveys of 19,377 people conducted by the Pew Research Center throughout 2011.
Read more about the slow-moving growth of the “nones” cohort here.
(H/T: USA Today)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 400 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range 262 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- NTSB says Wash. bridge collapse is wake-up call
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Kerry meets with runners from Boston Marathon
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- Iran fields 'massive' number of missile launchers