Head of Homeland Security: White House Will Continue to Host Members of Designated Terrorist Group
During a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on Wednesday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Congress on that the United States should expect more visits from members of a designated terrorist organization.
The comments, coming from the head of a department tasked with keeping America safe from terrorist threats, are jaw-dropping.
“I think you are right in pointing out that as we move forward we are going to continue to have visitors to this country that the State Department and others feel are useful to bring to the country to have discussions moving forward, who say they are members of the political party that in the past have been so designated,” Napolitano told committee chairman Pete King (R-N.Y.) during the hearing this morning.
Napolitano was justifying the government’s decision to invite Hani Nour Eldin — an Egyptian parliamentary member elected as a member the Islamic Group (Gamaa Islamiya), which has been designated as a foreign terrorist organization by the State Department — to the White House to meet with high-ranking Obama administration and State Department officials.
After King reminded her that Eldin is a member of a designated foreign terrorist group, Napolitano replied, ”I think we have to add more nuance to that.”
“We have to know what the group was. Is it now a political party that is running the government of a country that has strong ties to the United States?” she said. She also added that Eldin was properly “vetted” before he granted entry into the U.S. “Everyone who looked at this person felt confident that he was not a security risk to the White House or to the United States,” she said.
“But with all this vetting, the fact is, on his own Facebook page he said he was a member of the Islamic group, which is a designated foreign terrorist organization,” King replied.
King was clearly not appeased with Napolitano’s answers. He went on to accuse the Obama administration of breaking the law in opening the White House doors to a member of a terrorist organization.
“It appears as if the law was not complied with in that he did not apply for a waiver, Congress was not notified, which is also required,” he told the DHS head. “It does not appear that either the letter or the spirit of the law was complied with.”
“On the process, that’s a fair point to make,” Napolitano later conceded.
King pointed out that in the 1940s some State Department officials argued that Chairman Mao, a brutal Chinese revolutionary, was an “agrarian reformer” and Cuba’s Fidel Castro was labeled as a “Jeffersonian Democrat” by some in the 1950s. He said the agency is making the same mistake with some radical Islamic groups in trying to reason and work with them.
Watch the video of the hearing below:
(h/t: Washington Examiner)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 405 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 353 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 290 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 204 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 115 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- Cannes: Scott Thomas' glorious dip into darkness
- Benghazi review leader OKs meeting with committee
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill
- Stocks fall on news Fed weighed cutting stimulus