Michael Moore: Guns Today ‘Not Really’ What Founding Fathers Meant When They Said ‘Right to Bear Arms’
Michael Moore said on Piers Morgan Tuesday night that the founding Fathers would have omitted the right to bear arms from the Bill of Rights if they would have known how much guns would modernize in the coming centuries.
Ironically maintaining that “guns don’t kill people, Americans kill people,” Moore began by saying it must seem “odd” to people in other countries how we view our Constitution as being written “through some sort of divine intervention or whatever,” and that “because what they thought was right in 1776 to 1789 … that is the way we have to live today in the 21st century.”
Here is a clip of his subsequent remarks, via the Washington Examiner:
… when [the Founding Fathers] said, the right to bear arms…you know, the “arm” back then was you could — you could only fire one shot at a time. You had a little — a little ball bearing-like bullet. You had to stuff it in the thing and then you had to do this, and the gun powder, and, you know, took 15 minutes before you could fire one shot.
Now, if the Founding Fathers could have looked into a crystal ball and seen AK-47s and Glock semiautomatic pistols, I got a feeling they wouldn’t — I think they’d want to leave a little note behind and probably tell us, you know, that’s not really what we mean when we say “bear arms.”
…I wish we would just live in this century. I think they’d want us to do that. [Emphasis added]
This isn’t the first time Moore has made wild assertions about the Founding Fathers. In January, he said that the United States was “founded on genocide and build on the backs of slaves,” while in December of 2010 he claimed the Founding Fathers would have been Wikileakers.
Here’s a “brief history of America” as Moore apparently sees it, from his award-winning “Bowling for Columbine”:
Piers Morgan added that he has been “angered” by Americans’ reaction to the Aurora, Colorado massacre, and how there has been a significant rise in gun sales in the area.
Moore agreed, responding:
I mean, I just really want to say to people, you’re not living in a movie … So let’s say you have a gun on you and a guy is there. He lets off a tear gas canister. There’s gas everywhere. People are crawling over, running over everybody, there’s total chaos, you’re going to somehow very quickly, because he’s — remember, he’s got a semiautomatic gun, so he’s popping people very quickly every second. You’re going to somehow get your gun out and you’re back in row 15 and you’re somehow going to find that guy in the gas and shoot him and take him down. I mean, really?…
Moore concluded by saying he refuses “to live in a country” like this but, to the chagrin of many, obstinately declared that he’s “not leaving.”
He concluded: “It’s got to change. And I invite Americans who feel the same way as I do — and I believe it’s the majority — to help me change this, help everyone change this…Rise up now.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 977 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 375 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 288 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 132 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 172 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids