Animal Agriculture Is a Major Source of Climate Change: USDA Backpedals After Encouraging Employees to Have ‘Meatless Mondays’
Despite a drought that threatens the business and livelihood of U.S. ranchers, someone at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) thought it’d be a great idea to encourage agency employees to go vegetarian once a week because, apparently, eating meat causes global warming, er, global climate change.
Unsurprisingly, when people heard about “Meatless Mondays,” things didn’t go over so well and the
agency has since backed off the initiative.
“This move by USDA should be condemned by anyone who believes agriculture is fundamental to sustaining life on this planet,” said J.D. Alexander, president of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.
The agency proposed the meatless initiative in an online newsletter to employees about “greening” efforts.
“One simple way to reduce your environmental impact while dining at our cafeterias is to participate in the ‘Meatless Monday’ initiative,” the USDA newsletter stated. “This international effort, as the name implies, encourages people not to eat meat on Mondays.
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact,” it continued.
“According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources.”
The newsletter also informed employees about the “many health concerns” associated with “excessive consumption” of meat.
After the release of the online newsletter, Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kansas) asked Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to clarify the departments’ position.
“Never in my life would I have expected USDA to be opposed to farmers and ranchers,” Moran said in a statement. “American farmers and ranchers deserve a USDA that will pursue supportive policies rather than seek their further harm.”
“With extreme drought conditions plaguing much of the United States, the USDA should be more concerned about helping drought-stricken producers rather than demonizing an industry reeling from the lack of rain,” he added.
Moran asked whether it is USDA “official policy” to discourage consumption of “American grown meat,” according to Fox News.
“It is my hope that the USDA has not abandoned farmers and ranchers in pursuit of policies best left to the Environmental Protection Agency,” he said.
For its part, the Agriculture Department says “Meatless Mondays” was made “without proper clearance,” the Associated Press reported.
USDA spokeswoman Cortney Rowe says the department does not endorse the initiative, which is part of a “global public health campaign.” The agency removed the posting hours after the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association denounced it in a news release.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,039 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Investors edgy ahead of Bernanke testimony
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike in prison
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah militants
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner's 200th
- Ahead of the Bell: HP's 2Q results likely to sag
- Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft