Rand Paul at FreePAC: ‘Government Doesn’t Do Anything Very Well’
Tea Party-favorite Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) opened his speech at FreedomWorks’ “FreePAC” event with a joke:
“You may have heard about — there was a little girl and she said she wanted $100 and she said she’d do good things with it. And so she wrote a letter. She said, ‘Dear God, I’d like 100 dollars, I’ll do good things with it. So, she sent it off and the postmaster got it and he didn’t know what to do with it so he sent it to the president. The president said to his secretary, he said, ‘oh, that’s so cute, send her five bucks, that will be a lot of money to her.’”
“So she wrote a thank you, she said, ‘Dear God, thanks for the five bucks but next time don’t send it through Washington, they stole 95 percent of it.” After hearing the punch line, the crowd went wild.
Paul spent much of his time on stage blasting the Supreme Court and President Obama’s health care overhaul.
“Government doesn’t do anything very well,” he said, prompting laughs and cheers. “It’s not that government is stupid, although that’s a debatable question.”
Paul went on: “Now I don’t know if anybody here was unhappy when the Supreme Court ruled on Obamacare,” he said, drawing boos. “I was a little bit unhappy.”
He also clarified his position on Obamacare after he said the Left slammed him for saying that just because the Supreme Court deemed the health care law constitutional, doesn’t mean it is.
“What I meant was: I still think it’s unconstitutional,” Paul quipped. “We need a better Supreme Court is what we need.”
“George Will got it exactly right, George Will said that the case against Obamacare is the last exit on the highway to unlimited government,” the senator said.
Later in his speech, Paul said President Obama’s “You didn’t build that” remarks offended him personally.
“I took this as a personal insult,” he said to applause. “We’ve all got roads, we’ve all got public schools. You know, I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging but I feel like I earned some of the success for going to medical school.”
He then referenced this tweet in his speech:
“The family that runs the American donut shop in Bowling Green, the Vietnamese first generation immigrant family that gets up at 4 in the morning and makes donuts and works their butt off… You think they don’t deserve it?” Paul asked.
There are a lot of people who may refute that.
Watch some of Paul’s FreePAC speech here:
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 278 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 257 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 108 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 195 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 132 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 105 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 142 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All is Lost'
- UK, Denmark eyes visas for Afghan interpreters
- Official: Treasury played no role in IRS targeting
- Stocks edge higher as investors watch the Fed
- Richard Carrion declares IOC presidential bid