Dick Cheney: Picking Sarah Palin for VP Was a ‘Mistake’
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Sen. John McCain’s pick of Sarah Palin as his GOP running mate in 2008 was a “mistake” — and one that Mitt Romney can’t repeat.
In an interview segment broadcast Sunday — his first since receiving a heart transplant earlier this year — Cheney told ABC’s Jonathan Karl he does not think McCain’s decision to pick the former Alaska governor was “well handled,” largely because she would not have been ready to be president of the United States.
Cheney, who headed up the running mate search for Presidents Gerald Ford and George W. Bush before being named the latter’s No. 2, said there are always “two lists” in play during the vetting process: The “big list,” which is broad and full of non-serious contenders, and the “small list, the one that’s really under active consideration.”
“The test to get on that small list has to be, ‘Is this person capable of being president of the United States?’” Cheney said.
In Palin’s case, he said, the answer was no.
“I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She – attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years. I don’t think she passed that test…of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake,” Cheney said.
Watch below, via ABC:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 483 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 470 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 461 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Newly found Pearl S. Buck book is to be published
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Singer Nick Carter to release memoir Sept. 24
- AP Interview: Syria conflict uproots Palestinians
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal