Romney Responds to Newsweek ‘Wimp’ Cover: ‘Wouldn’t Get Much Sleep’ If I Worried About the Media
(The Blaze/AP) — Mitt Romney says if he worried about what reporters thought of him, he wouldn’t get much sleep– and he’s been sleeping just fine.
The U.S. presidential candidate told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that he isn’t sweating the upcoming Newsweek magazine cover that leads with “Romney: The Wimp Factor.”
The title reportedly continues: “Is He Just Too Insecure To Be President?” and the article itself then likens the presidential candidate to a “mouse” in the White House.
Here’s how the cover will reportedly appear:
Romney explained that the media tried a similar criticism of President George H.W. Bush, who Romney described as “a pretty great president” and not a “wimp.”
Newsweek used the same exact insult, actually. According to the Associated Press, a 1987 Newsweek profile featured then-Vice President Bush with the title — “Fighting the ‘Wimp Factor.”
Asked whether he had ever been called “wimp” himself, Romney says he thinks the magazine cover is a first.
The left’s narrative appears to have run two different courses simultaneously in this regard. Romney has been portrayed as a “bully” for allegedly cutting the hair of a boy in grade school, and Obama adviser Robert Gibbs just called Romney to a “prep school bully” on Sunday.
So is it possible to be both a bully and a wimp at the same time?
Watch the whole CBS interview, below:
As those who follow current events know, Newsweek has a reputation for leading with provocative (but not necessarily accurate) cover stories.
The antics likely haven’t helped Newsweek’s success in the industry. Earlier this week, it was announced that the magazine may be forced to become online-only.
The conservative site Weasel Zippers responded to the Newsweek cover with an image of Barack Obama riding his bicycle, asking: “If Romney is a wimp, then what is this guy?”
When asked how she feels about the Newsweek cover, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz launched into a discussion of Romney’s “[secretive]” habits:
“Well, I think Mitt Romney has demonstrated repeatedly he has a penchant for– for secrecy, doesn’t seem to have any interest in actually showing the American people his– his finances, decision– important decisions about his investments, refuses to come clean on his time at Bain Capital and when he was really there, and, you know, be held accountable for the outsourcing of jobs and the off-shoring of jobs and shipping jobs overseas … So I– I think he has left quite a bit of doubt about his level of preparation and readiness to the President.”
This post has been updated.
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 270 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 215 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016