Romney Responds to Newsweek ‘Wimp’ Cover: ‘Wouldn’t Get Much Sleep’ If I Worried About the Media
(The Blaze/AP) — Mitt Romney says if he worried about what reporters thought of him, he wouldn’t get much sleep– and he’s been sleeping just fine.
The U.S. presidential candidate told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that he isn’t sweating the upcoming Newsweek magazine cover that leads with “Romney: The Wimp Factor.”
The title reportedly continues: “Is He Just Too Insecure To Be President?” and the article itself then likens the presidential candidate to a “mouse” in the White House.
Here’s how the cover will reportedly appear:
Romney explained that the media tried a similar criticism of President George H.W. Bush, who Romney described as “a pretty great president” and not a “wimp.”
Newsweek used the same exact insult, actually. According to the Associated Press, a 1987 Newsweek profile featured then-Vice President Bush with the title — “Fighting the ‘Wimp Factor.”
Asked whether he had ever been called “wimp” himself, Romney says he thinks the magazine cover is a first.
The left’s narrative appears to have run two different courses simultaneously in this regard. Romney has been portrayed as a “bully” for allegedly cutting the hair of a boy in grade school, and Obama adviser Robert Gibbs just called Romney to a “prep school bully” on Sunday.
So is it possible to be both a bully and a wimp at the same time?
Watch the whole CBS interview, below:
As those who follow current events know, Newsweek has a reputation for leading with provocative (but not necessarily accurate) cover stories.
The antics likely haven’t helped Newsweek’s success in the industry. Earlier this week, it was announced that the magazine may be forced to become online-only.
The conservative site Weasel Zippers responded to the Newsweek cover with an image of Barack Obama riding his bicycle, asking: “If Romney is a wimp, then what is this guy?”
When asked how she feels about the Newsweek cover, DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz launched into a discussion of Romney’s “[secretive]” habits:
“Well, I think Mitt Romney has demonstrated repeatedly he has a penchant for– for secrecy, doesn’t seem to have any interest in actually showing the American people his– his finances, decision– important decisions about his investments, refuses to come clean on his time at Bain Capital and when he was really there, and, you know, be held accountable for the outsourcing of jobs and the off-shoring of jobs and shipping jobs overseas … So I– I think he has left quite a bit of doubt about his level of preparation and readiness to the President.”
This post has been updated.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 443 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 398 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 343 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 316 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 271 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 167 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 102 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 126 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Umpire expresses regret on botched call
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- Ore. teen accused of planning to attack school
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued