‘The Tragic Kingdom’: Anaheim Protesters Take Their Message to Disneyland
Last weekend, demonstrators stormed a police station in Anaheim, California to protest an officer-involved shooting that left a man dead, according to police.
Now, a mixture of groups– including a representative from the “Occupy” movement– have moved their message to the “Magic Kingdom” of Disneyland, afraid their voices were no longer being heard from Anaheim.
KABC has more information on the latest developments:
The protesters were peaceful as they made their voices heard. They said they want the Anaheim police chief removed from his position and they want the police department put under a microscope to explain what is behind the string of shootings.
“What I hope to accomplish here today and the rest of us, [is] that the people are aware of what’s happening here in the city of Anaheim and that we want the police to be accountable for their actions,” said protester Yvonne Elizondo.
Authorities say Diaz, a documented gang member from Santa Ana according to police, reached for his waistband before he was shot and killed by officers July 21. Officers said Diaz, who had a criminal record, failed to heed orders and threw something as he fled police. It was later confirmed that Diaz was not armed.
Police also shot and killed Joel Acevedo, a documented gang member from Anaheim according to police. Officials say Acevedo shot at officers at the end of a pursuit July 22 in a stolen SUV.
Watch video of the protests, below:
But why take the demonstration to Disneyland, of all places? Perhaps because, due to the violence and vandalism the protesters seem to bring, a number of them were seemingly not allowed to attend a City Council meeting. KABC continues:
Anaheim police have doubled their patrol since Tuesday night – that’s when protesters were angry they were not allowed in to the already-packed City Council meeting. People took to the streets and 20 businesses were vandalized. Officers arrested 24 people.
Barriers were also put up Friday around the Anaheim Police Department headquarters in the event any of the demonstrations nearby get out of hand. Authorities want to prevent people from vandalizing the building.
But not everyone at Disneyland was convinced by the protests.
One woman, who said she was actually from Anaheim, commented: “It’s how you choose to live your life. If you wake up every day to go to work, okay. If you wake up every day to steal a car, hey, you know what, that’s going to happen to you.”
When asked if he still sees Disneyland as “happiest place on earth,” one boy simply responded, “yeah.”
(H/T: Weasel Zippers)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 396 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 289 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner