‘A Part of America That Is Hidden in Plain Sight’: Former CNN Anchor Decries Racism After Getting Pulled Over
American society has come a long way since Rodney King.
Former CNN anchor TJ Holmes apparently had an experience with something that civil rights activists refer to derisively as “driving while black.” That is, the supposed phenomenon of black people getting pulled over by the police in spite of having done nothing wrong. Holmes tweeted about the experience earlier this afternoon, with several different tweets excoriating the police officer who stopped him, apparently without sufficient reason for doing so (the reason given was that the officer wanted to make sure Holmes had insurance on his car). Two of the more notable tweets below:
As a result of this incident, Holmes was invited on MSNBC’s “The Ed Show” by guest host Michael Eric Dyson, who proceeded to transform Holmes’ single experience with an apparently incompetent police officer into gigantic parable about the state of race in America. Mediaite explains:
Holmes and guest host Michael Eric Dyson connected the traffic stop to what they perceive as a lack of improvement on the race relations front since President Barack Obama took office.
“Racial discrimination is a part of America that is hidden in plain site,” Dyson began. “It’s felt by millions of Americans and it was felt by a public individual and documented in a public setting.”[...]
Holmes then claimed that the officer said he stopped the former CNN host because “I want to make sure you have insurance on the car.” He went on to say that he tweeted his experience because “I was frustrated at the time. I have wondered if maybe I made a mistake, if I did something wrong by enflaming people’s emotions, by using the phrase ‘driving while black,’” he said of the media firestorm that resulted from his racially-tinged tweets.
“Immediately, there were two sides clearly polarized on the issue: one side mothers, fathers, young black men who have gone through this experience; and another side that called me a racist. The ‘n-word’ has been thrown around today.”
Listen to Holmes explain what happened to him in the video below:
Mountain out of a molehill or genuine racism? One assumes the Left isn’t going to let this incident go for a while, so presumably, we will find out.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 384 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 149 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 124 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 238 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 247 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- Jury deciding Arias' sentence adjourns for day
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Family Ties: Jarrett, Petty enter NASCAR hall
- Top AEG lawyer referred to Jackson as 'freak'
- In Arias trial, TV cameras never far behind
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94