Dem Congressman: It’s a ‘Privilege’ to be a Millionaire
During a Monday broadcast of CNN’s “Starting Point With Soledad O’Brien,” Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-NY) stopped by to discuss the difference between the Republican and Democrat approach to the Bush-era tax cuts.
As many Blaze readers know, Republicans want to extend the tax cuts for all Americans whereas Democrats only want to extend the cuts for households making less than $250,000 a year.
Rep. Crowley told the CNN panel that Congress needs to “reach a compromise.”
“I believe that right now what we’re looking for is compromise,” said Rep. Crowley. “We’re hoping our Republican colleagues will come in. Right now if we passed the bill, if you are a sergeant in the military serving overseas in Afghanistan, you have a wife and children back stateside, you will see a $400 increase in your taxes if the Republican Bill would become law.”
“That’s unacceptable for the middle class and working Americans. We need to pass a bill that makes sense for America, not just for the wealthiest 2 percent of this country,” he added.
His interview then took an odd yet predictable turn.
“To be a millionaire in this country, it is the greatest country the world has known. It is a privilege. And I think most people get that. You work hard, you get ahead, make a living and you contribute back to this country and make it a better country [emphasis added],” he said.
[Author’s note: Apologies for the audio delay in the YouTube video. Apparently, CNN felt it wasn’t important to include all of the congressman’s interview and their "official" video leaves out the “privilege” bit. Therefore, we had to hunt down this poorer quality video from the congressman’s YouTube channel.]
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,015 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 452 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 419 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 306 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 221 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 193 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 116 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have No Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge
- Pentagon wants $450M for Guantanamo prison
- The new consoles from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Leahy steps back on gay marriage issue
- Toronto mayor avoids questions about crack video
- Indians' Perez deletes Twitter account