Harry Reid Makes Wild Claim About Mitt
Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has revealed strong, and questionable accusations against Mitt Romney. The Nevada Democrat has told the Huffington Post that a Bain investor called his office claiming that Romney did not pay any taxes for 10 years. Sen. Reid and his aides have not identified the alleged caller, and the Romney campaign has criticized the claims and irreverent comments from Sen. Reid in regards to the late George Romney in the Huffington Post story.
Democrats have pressed the former Massachusetts governor to release more than his 2010 tax return and 2011 estimate, which Sen. Reid insists that if revealed, would bar Romney from making it through a Senate confirmation process as a Cabinet nominee.
Sen. Reid claims that a former Bain Capitol investor, who the Nevada Democrat would not name, called his office about a month ago claiming that Romney “didn’t pay any taxes for 10 years.”
“Now, do I know that that’s true? Well, I’m not certain,” Sen. Reid told the Huffington Post. “But obviously he can’t release those tax returns. How would it look?”
While Sen. Reid offers no further information in the report about the claim and the Bain investor who called it in, the Nevada Senator waxes poetic about Romney’s late father George, who in the 1960s was the first presidential candidate to release extensive information on his personal finances. Sen. Reid told the Huffington Post that the late Romney “must be so embarrassed about his son.”
The Huffington Post report comes the same day as the release of the latest Obama campaign video attacking Romney for not releasing additional tax returns.
In response to the loose accusations released by Sen. Reid, Romney campaign adviser Kevin Madden told the Huffington Post that the governor has “gone above and beyond the disclosure requirements by releasing two years of personal tax returns in addition to the hundreds of pages of personal financial disclosure documents he has provided to the FEC and made public.”
Madden went on to cite the references made by Sen. Reid in regards to George Romney, as “troubling and disappointing.”
“We have many substantive disagreements with the senator and his policies, but using insults about a father-son relationship is a step too far,” Madden went on to say.
The Washington Post notes that Romney has previously denied rumors that he hasn’t paid taxes in a single year, and recently told ABC News that he couldn’t recall if there were years when he paid below the 13.9 percent tax rate that he paid in 2010.
Writing on ABCNews.com, Sunlen Miller describes Sen. Reid’s speculation as “a totally unsubstantiated rumor.” Maggie Haberman of POLITICO writes that Sen. Reid “used a T-shirt gun of unsubstantiated claims” in the Huffington Post story.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 462 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 411 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute