Granny Get Your Gun: 65-Year-Old Woman Thwarts Robbery Using Her Pistol and 2 Rounds
A 65-year-old woman fired two rounds from a handgun at five masked men after they attempted to rob her jewelry store in Garden Grove, Calif. on Sunday. Her shots sent the men fleeing in such a panic that they literally tripped over each other trying to exit the store, KTLA reports.
The woman then went running after them down the street, still gripping her pistol. And all of it was caught on surveillance camera.
In fact, the would-be robbers were in such a frenzy from her gunfire that their white getaway SUV actually left three of the suspects behind. They were later picked up roughly a block and a half away.
Police are still looking for the suspects.
According to KCAL, the five men entered the store wearing masks while some wore hoods. Police have confirmed that at least two of the men had guns.
Lt. Jeff Nightengale of the Garden Grove Police Department told KCAL that three of the men were also carrying pillowcase, most likely to carry their loot. But they never got that far — and they certainly didn’t expect the old woman to fight back so fiercely.
“They demanded everyone get down on the ground. They asked for valuables inside the store,” Nightengale said.
Moments later, the 65-year-old owner whipped out her handgun and shot two rounds at the group of thugs, sending them scrambling out the front door.
“She felt her life was in jeopardy. She felt it was appropriate action to protect those people in the store,” Nightengale added.
The store owner declined to comment on her heroic actions.
Police say the suspects could be the same men who tried to rob another jewelry store at the Asian Garden Mall in Westminster one day later.
In that heist, the store owner shot a suspect in the face.
Garden Grove police say it may be the same crew, but they caution store owners about defending themselves with guns.
Watch more of the surveillance footage via KCAL:
Carousel image courtesy of Shutterstock.com.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 514 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 461 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 445 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 257 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK emergency committee meets after attack
- Simultaneous car bomb attacks in Niger
- Man shot by FBI had spoken with bombing suspect
- Father of Afghanistan cricket captain abducted
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- Oil falls below $93 as China manufacturing weakens
- Crane accident cuts power to one-third of Vietnam