Outrageous: Harry Reid Repeats Romney Tax Slur on the Senate Floor
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) on Friday took the opportunity during an address from the Senate floor to repeat his claim that Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney did not pay his taxes for 10 years.
“He’s refused to release his tax returns, as we know. If a person coming before this body wanted to be a cabinet officer, he couldn’t be if he did the same refusal Mitt Romney does about tax returns,” Reid said to our nation’s senators.
“So the word’s out that he hasn’t paid any taxes for ten years. Let him prove that he has paid taxes, because he hasn’t,” he added.
Wait, “the word’s out”? You, senator, put “the word” out! You made the claim! You cannot substantiate any of this accusation!
“We already know from one partial tax return that he gave us, he has money hidden in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, and a Swiss bank account. Not making that up, that’s in the partial year that he gave us,” Reid continued.
“Mitt Romney makes more money in a single day than the average middle-class family makes in two years–or more,” he added.
Reid began all this 10-year no-tax nonsense during an interview with the Huffington Post on Tuesday, TheBlaze discussed earlier today.
Since accusing the former Massachusetts governor of being a tax cheat, the Romney campaign has torn into the senator, left-leaning comedian Jon Stewart has lambasted him for being way out of line, and President Obama’s own deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter admitted there’s nothing to back up his claim.
“I know that the term ‘Senate ethics’ is often an oxymoron, but doesn’t accusing a political opponent from the Senate floor of a felony without offering a shred of proof violate some kind of ethics rule?” Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey asks.
“Not only is this despicable and grossly irresponsible, it should be actionable in court,” he adds.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 842 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 271 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 220 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 182 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids
- Chinese fishing boat, crew released by North Korea
- Head of embattled G4S security force retires
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan