Jesse Jackson Jr.’s Wife Says He Was ‘Completely Debilitated by Depression’
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. was “completely debilitated by depression” when he “collapsed” two months ago, his wife told the Chicago Sun-Times.
“His collapse was D-Day for us,” Chicago Alderman Sandi Jackson told the newspaper.
Speaking out for the first time since her husband took medical leave in June, Sandi Jackson said the Illinois Democrat absolutely did not attempt suicide or was receiving treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.
“No, no, none of that is true,” she said.
She said Rep. Jackson was at their home in Washington, D.C. when it happened on June 10.
“His father, Rev. Jackson, called him on the phone and felt he didn’t sound right,” Sandi Jackson said. “Jesse told his father he was so exhausted, he couldn’t take another step.”
She said Rev. Jackson and Jesse’s brother Yusef met him at home and took him to a D.C. hospital. Sandi Jackson said her husband’s “body was just worn out…it was obvious he was suffering from a form of depression.”
He was taken to a mental health treatment center in Tucson, Ariz., where a possibility of a correlation between Jackson’s depression and his 2004 gastric bypass weight loss surgery was raised “due to lack of nutrients.” That’s when the decision was made to take him to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. for additional screening, according to the Sun-Times.
“What I can tell you is my husband has his good days and bad days and they are increasing his depression medication to therapeutic levels,” Sandi Jackson said. “They are now trying to find out if his depression, which has not yet been diagnosed as a bipolar disorder, is connected to the weight-loss surgery. We don’t know.”
She added, “Jesse is now gaining weight and eating and feeling better in that sense, but he is still very depressed. But I am encouraged by the number of tests they are running and the quality of the analysis.”
Sandi Jackson said any decision about whether her husband will return to work before Labor Day and attend the Democratic National Convention is be “up to the doctors,” but added, “we should know soon.”
She also said her husband has been in a “news blackout” during his entire treatment.
“We decided to impose a news blackout during his treatment to enable him to heal,” Sandi Jackson said.
Rep. Jackson is currently under investigation for allegedly offering to raise campaign cash for then-Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich in exchange for being appointed to Barack Obama’s old Senate seat.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 452 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 399 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 320 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 133 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- Spurs take 3-0 lead, beat Grizzlies 104-93 in OT
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame