‘An Implicit Insult’: Why Are Some Turks Angry About This Photo of Obama?
An official White House photo of President Barack Obama generated some buzz last week, mostly because it invited more questions than answers.
Well, really just one question: what the heck was Obama doing with that baseball bat?
The White House offered no information other than the simple caption, “President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey in the Oval Office, July 30, 2012.”
When asked by reporters just what Obama was doing gripping a bat while speaking with a world leader, press secretary Jay Carney said he would look into it.
The Turks, for their part, had plenty to say. From Reuters:
“The photo reveals from whom our Prime Minister receives orders to rule the country,” Metin Lutfi Baydar, a lawmaker with Turkey’s main opposition party the Republican People’s Party (CHP), said in a statement.
CHP vice president Umut Oran asked through parliament if Erdogan had seen the picture and if he would take action against “an implicit insult to Turkey and its citizens”.
Some newspapers took a more lighthearted view, with columnist Ahmet Hakan of Hurriyet writing: “We need to do something – retaliation seems to be the most reasonable method.”
“Our prime minister needs to hold something in his hand as he’s calling Obama,” he added, suggesting as possible candidates a slipper, a belt or a rolling pin.
A White House spokeswoman responded to the photo inquiries on Friday and said the administration was aware of the international attention. Still, there was no answer to the bat question.
“We released the photo with only one purpose in mind, to highlight the President’s continuing close relationship with Prime Minister Erdogan and draw attention to the important conversation they had about the worsening situation in Syria,” spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement. “The President values his friendship and close partnership with Prime Minister Erdogan on a range of important issues on which the United States cooperates with Turkey.”
Erdogan on Sunday dismissed opposition criticism of the photo, telling Turkey’s A Haber news station that Obama is “a friend who never falls short of respect or politeness,” according to the Associated Press.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 112 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 210 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit
- Safe room mandates remain rare in tornado states
- Turkey passes bill restricting alcohol sales, ads
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys