15 Egyptian Border Agents Killed as Militant Islamists Reportedly Try to Enter Israel
Militant Islamists killed at least 15 Egyptian guards at the Karm Abu Salem/Kerem Shalom border crossing in the Sinai Peninsula Sunday, in what appeared to be a coordinated effort to enter Israel.
The attack took place around sunset, when the troops were having the traditional meal at the end of the Ramadan fast, Egyptian authorities said.
IDF Command Maj. Gen. Tal Russo confirmed the report, and gave more information:
“After the fact, we learned that a group from the Sinai took control of an Egyptian military post, killed between 10 and 15 Egyptians, and stole two armored vehicles called Fahds.
At 8:05 P.M., one of the vehicles exploded at the Kerem Shalom crossing, and another breached the border fence and entered Israeli territory. A few moments later, we hit the vehicle from the air.”
Here is video from the IDF’s YouTube page, showing the IAF striking one of the vehicles after the first exploded:
Egyptian state TV said the Sunday attack was carried out by Islamist militants, and Israeli media suggests that Global Jihad, specifically, is responsible.
“It seems the attack was sudden and well-coordinated, using heavy arms,” Al Arabiya’s correspondent Ahmad Bagato said.
Israeli army spokesman Afihai Adra’ei told Al Arbiya that attack was likely part of a larger plot.
The Jerusalem Post explains:
IDF Spokesman Brig.-Gen. Yoav Mordechai told reporters that the IDF was still searching the area to rule out the possibility that additional terrorists remained in Israel. Mordechai said that the IDF has ruled out the possibility that a soldier was kidnapped although it was possible that the attack was aimed at abducting a soldier. The IDF spokesman later said in an interview with Army Radio that at least three terrorists were killed during the infiltration attempt.
Israel is increasingly concerned with the presence of [Global Jihad] operatives in the Sinai Peninsula and their ties with Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip.
Egyptian President Muhammad Morsi called an urgent meeting with his country’s military council, saying the attackers “will pay dearly.”
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak commented:
“IDF forces … with the help of the Shin Bet, showed alertness, sharpness and versatility, and thwarted an attack may could have caused many casualties.
The operations of the assailants raise again the need for resolute Egyptian action to impose security and prevent terrorism in the Sinai.”
It was one of the bloodiest attacks in Sinai in years, underlining the growing lawlessness of the Egyptian territory previously best-known for its Red Sea resorts and biblical history.
According to the Associated Press, security forces have become targets of militants, some linked with al-Qaida.
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu said Sunday: “All those who intend to harm us should know our long arm will reach them.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
This post has been updated.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 992 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 431 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 382 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 141 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 179 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases