(Exclusive) Muslim Public Affairs Director on Sikh Shooting & Bachmann: ‘There Is Consequence & Responsibility’ With ‘What We Say’
Haris Tarin, the Director of the Muslim Public Affairs Council in Washington DC, cautioned about the potential “consequence” of what people say in public when asked whether the Sikh shooting on Sunday had any relation to Michelle Bachmann’s inquiry into the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood within the U.S. government.
Soon after the shooting, unsubstantiated comments began circulating on Twitter attempting to tie the bloody Sunday rampage at the Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, to those raising questions about the Muslim Brotherhood. It should be noted that Islam and Sikhism share little common ground when if comes to political philosophy or religious history.
Tarin was cautious in noting that we cannot make a direct link right now between the shooter and the Bachmann inquiry, which his organization is labeling as a ‘witch hunt‘, but did note that Americans should be more “reflective” on what they say:
“What we can say is that as a nation is that we have to be more reflective on how we speak on issues. [...] We have to be responsible. We have this great first amendment and we have the right to say what we want and whenever we want and that’s what makes America great. But at the same time we have to understand that there is consequence and responsibility that comes with what we say.”
Tarin went on to say now is not the time for judgement.
Bachmann (R-MN) came under fire after joining four other GOP representatives in sending a letter requesting information from the Obama Administration concerning possible links between the Muslim Brotherhood, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the U.S. intelligence community and the U.S. Departments of State and Justice. Other conservatives have defended Bachmann, saying that the inquiry raises legitimate questions without being insulting or disparaging to any individual or group.
The Brotherhood is considered one of most influential Islamist movements in the world; the new president of Egypt, Mohamed Morsi, is a member. Bachmann and four other Republican lawmakers recently wrote the inspectors general of five federal departments asking them to compile a report on its influence in the United States.
TheBlaze interview took place outside the RNC headquarters on Capitol Hill where Tarin’s group had planned to convene a press conference calling on presidential candidate Mitt Romney to denounce Bachmann for her comments. The press conference was rescheduled due to rain.
- SEVEN PEOPLE DEAD IN SHOOTING AT SIKH TEMPLE IN WISCONSIN
- ‘GOD SENT ANOTHER SHOOTER’: WESTBORO MEMBERS SEND ‘HORRIFIC’ TWEETS IN WAKE OF DEADLY SIKH TEMPLE ATTACK
- POLICE: SIKH TEMPLE SHOOTING BEING HANDLED AS ‘DOMESTIC TERRORISM,’ FBI TAKING OVER INVESTIGATION
- ‘HATE BREEDS HATE’: TWITTER USERS BLAME MICHELE BACHMANN FOR ATTACK ON SIKH TEMPLE
- OBAMA, ROMNEY RELEASE STATEMENTS FOLLOWING SIKH TEMPLE SHOOTING
- CONFERENCE OF MAYORS, REPRESENTING 1,295 U.S. CITIES, CALLS FOR STRICTER GUN LAWS FOLLOWING SIKH TEMPLE SHOOTING
This is a breaking news story. Stay tuned for updates.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,041 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Investors edgy ahead of Bernanke testimony
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Irishman charged with 1982 IRA Hyde Park bombing
- Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike in prison
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah militants
- Germany celebrates composer Wagner's 200th
- Ahead of the Bell: HP's 2Q results likely to sag
- Kenya's truth report: Killings, land grabs, graft