Robert Gibbs’ Answer When Confronted on Romney-Killed-My-Wife Ad: We Just Don’t Know the ‘Specifics’
When confronted on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” about a new pro-Obama ad accusing Mitt Romney of being somehow responsible for the death of the wife of Joe Soptic, a former employee at GST Steel in Kansas City, Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs really, really didn’t want to talk about it.
“This is an ad by an entity that’s not controlled by the campaign,” Gibbs said. “I certainly don’t know the specifics of this man’s case. I do think there is a lot of concern in the country about what happens when people lose their jobs.”
The anti-Romney ad explains that after GST was shuttered by Bain Capital, Soptic lost his healthcare coverage and couldn’t afford to take care of his cancer-stricken wife. As sad as his story is, let’s be clear about what the ad is trying to say: Because Soptic lost his healthcare coverage, a woman is dead and it’s kind of Mitt Romney’s fault.
But here are the facts:
1. Romney left Bain in 1999 (do we really need to keep going over this?)
2. Top Obama bundler Jonathan Lavine was Bain’s managing director at the time of GST’s bankruptcy
3. GST Steel was shuttered in 2001
4. Soptic’s wife passed away in 2006
5. Soptic’s wife had insurance through her own employer
Wouldn’t you say it’s just a bit of a stretch to blame Romney for her death?
“As everyone dusts off their white horse … let’s go through an ad we know the Romney campaign is entirely responsible for,” Gibbs said, trying to turn the conversation towards a discussion of Romney’s supposedly racist “Obama Gutted Welfare” ad.
But the panel wasn’t about to let him off the hook that easy.
“It goes to a different level. It’s a different kind of conversation,” Steele said, referring to the difference between debating policy and accusing someone of being responsible for the death of another. “You have a visceral reaction to this ad. Is it or is it not below the belt?”
Gibbs had nothing to say to that.
“The message is a little over the top. Can’t you admit that?” Scarborough asked.
“I don’t know the specifics of this person’s case,” Gibbs said.
“What specifics would you like to know?” asked Time magazine’s Mark Halperin.
Gibbs answered by saying he “didn’t know the specifics” of Soptic’s wife’s health care coverage.
Meanwhile, over at CNN’s “Starting Point,” Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter didn’t want to talk about the ad either.
“Is this ad accurate? Is it fair?” asked CNN’s John Berman.
“I don’t know the facts about when his wife got sick, or the facts about his health insurance,” Cutter replied, “but what I do know is that Mitt Romney personally handled the deal to take over GS Steel, and personally handled some of the decisions made to load that company up with debt so much that it went underwater, it went bankrupt.”
But is the presumed Republican presidential candidate responsible for someone’s death?
Where is this communication breakdown coming from?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 382 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 113 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Syrian govt to take part in peace conference
- Plastic ocean debris the target of new Calif. bill
- Obama addressing Naval Academy graduates 2nd time
- Older brother held in deaths of 2 younger siblings
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul