Robert Gibbs’ Answer When Confronted on Romney-Killed-My-Wife Ad: We Just Don’t Know the ‘Specifics’
When confronted on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” about a new pro-Obama ad accusing Mitt Romney of being somehow responsible for the death of the wife of Joe Soptic, a former employee at GST Steel in Kansas City, Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs really, really didn’t want to talk about it.
“This is an ad by an entity that’s not controlled by the campaign,” Gibbs said. “I certainly don’t know the specifics of this man’s case. I do think there is a lot of concern in the country about what happens when people lose their jobs.”
The anti-Romney ad explains that after GST was shuttered by Bain Capital, Soptic lost his healthcare coverage and couldn’t afford to take care of his cancer-stricken wife. As sad as his story is, let’s be clear about what the ad is trying to say: Because Soptic lost his healthcare coverage, a woman is dead and it’s kind of Mitt Romney’s fault.
But here are the facts:
1. Romney left Bain in 1999 (do we really need to keep going over this?)
2. Top Obama bundler Jonathan Lavine was Bain’s managing director at the time of GST’s bankruptcy
3. GST Steel was shuttered in 2001
4. Soptic’s wife passed away in 2006
5. Soptic’s wife had insurance through her own employer
Wouldn’t you say it’s just a bit of a stretch to blame Romney for her death?
“As everyone dusts off their white horse … let’s go through an ad we know the Romney campaign is entirely responsible for,” Gibbs said, trying to turn the conversation towards a discussion of Romney’s supposedly racist “Obama Gutted Welfare” ad.
But the panel wasn’t about to let him off the hook that easy.
“It goes to a different level. It’s a different kind of conversation,” Steele said, referring to the difference between debating policy and accusing someone of being responsible for the death of another. “You have a visceral reaction to this ad. Is it or is it not below the belt?”
Gibbs had nothing to say to that.
“The message is a little over the top. Can’t you admit that?” Scarborough asked.
“I don’t know the specifics of this person’s case,” Gibbs said.
“What specifics would you like to know?” asked Time magazine’s Mark Halperin.
Gibbs answered by saying he “didn’t know the specifics” of Soptic’s wife’s health care coverage.
Meanwhile, over at CNN’s “Starting Point,” Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter didn’t want to talk about the ad either.
“Is this ad accurate? Is it fair?” asked CNN’s John Berman.
“I don’t know the facts about when his wife got sick, or the facts about his health insurance,” Cutter replied, “but what I do know is that Mitt Romney personally handled the deal to take over GS Steel, and personally handled some of the decisions made to load that company up with debt so much that it went underwater, it went bankrupt.”
But is the presumed Republican presidential candidate responsible for someone’s death?
Where is this communication breakdown coming from?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 532 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 459 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 346 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers